HMSHost

www.hmshost.com
There are newer employer reviews for HMSHost

HMSHOST friendly work environment but not good management, eventually detrimental to employees moral.

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Bethesda, MD
Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Bethesda, MD

I worked at HMSHost full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly work environment.Good work life balance

Cons

Slow advancement, very sneaky managers, if you are not on the manager good side, then goodbye promotion. Low pay to start and very low increase. Difficult to get promoted.

Stop being discriminatory, ask employees opinion in regard to their direct manager behavior. Give value employees value so that they don't feel that they are stock. Stop maintaining employees for too long in the same position... etc...

228 Other Employee Reviews for HMSHost (View Most Recent)

Location is everything.

Former Employee - Fast Food Attendant in Hanover, MD
    Former Employee - Fast Food Attendant in Hanover, MD

I worked at HMSHost part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being a travel-related company, they are everywhere. If you become valuable there is less fear of moving. Odds are wherever you go they will have a place for you.

Cons

Location is everything. Some locations have great staff and others are terrible. If you are at the service end of things I would strongly recommend visiting as a patron before accepting. The service you receive tends to be quite indicative of your future work environment. If it's terrible don't expect much.

On hiring: Quantity over quality does not help employee or consumer satisfaction.

Used to be one of the better places I've worked.

Current Employee - Barista in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Barista in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at HMSHost full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Culinary union, a lot of employees have been there for many years, they try to reward employees for good customer service, better pay than most retail/cashier/food positions. Culinary union offers one of the best health insurances in the nation. Overtime is offered usually (when business is good). Annual raises. Opportunities to move into management (management is non union however). Ability to transfer all over the US. Paid lunch. Free parking (airport locations). Pay for your laundry. Ability to move into different job classifications with training (opportunities for fast food, porter, barista, bartender, cook, host, etc.) Good place to gain experience.

Cons

Sometimes feel we are treated like kids and management has to watch and know our every move. Feels like there is a lack of trust between associates and management. Once felt accused of theft by loss/prevention team because my sales and they started asking me questions even though I did not do anything wrong. Some managers like to micro manage. There is a lack of communication on a large scale particularly within management and to the associates.

Act like you at least somewhat trust your associates. Bump up the communication between all management and associates. One manager will say one thing on policies and then another manager will say something different about the same policy. Used to be fun working there several years ago with company parties, fun, upbeat management. Now everything just seems so strict, uptight, a sense of distrust. It's barely tolerable working there 5 days a week now.

There are newer employer reviews for HMSHost