internship

I worked at HNI

Pros

Nice place to work for interns. Plenty of opportunity to see entire operations within the company. Fun activities offered throughout the intern experience. Decent pay

Cons

Experience might not pull as much weight compared to working with other corporations. Matching projects with desired areas of work are lacking.

Advice to Management

Include projects that results can be seen. Also screen who interns are paired with, interns should not be doing busy work for mentors.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Culture seems to be changing for the better

Current Employee - Production Technician in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Production Technician in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at HNI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've always enjoyed working here but it seems like the safety and overall culture is improving year over year. There is a feeling that the people are most important now, rather than the product. We now get 8 days notice for Saturday work and management seems interested in our feedback.

Cons

Planning and forecast management needs some work. I see leadership trying to explain why we are working 9 hr days and saturdays after just having a cut friday, and you can tell that they are frustrated too

Advice to Management

Better forecasting models

2. Stuck in the past tech wise

Former Employee - E-business Web Developer in Muscatine, IA
    Former Employee - E-business Web Developer in Muscatine, IA

I worked at HNI (More than a year)

Pros

They might be making trendy furniture for the up and coming offices and established ones, but this company is rooted in the past. Crap pay for expectation of 45+ hrs minimum.

If you can stick it out - promotions will qualify you for higher pay, but even then you'll be stuck in Muscatine working alongside a company with a fake culture.

The facade is strong but once you see through it - you'll see the wizard behind the curtain and will be extremely disappointed.

Cons

Lack of knowledgeable management in tech area.

If you're going into be a web developer or similar. You will be towards the top when it comes to tech knowledge.

Advice to Management

Get training in technology.