HNTB Companies

www.hntb.com

Sinking ship but no one notices

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsStaff level and middle managers are very competent, salaries are comparatively good, Benefits are comparable to other firms, mid-level management is very good. Great bonus program for senior management. Company cell phones and vehicles.

ConsVery High percentage of officers to staff (over 14%) TOJ requirements are over 92% for engineers and over 96% for field staff. Upper management's continued focus on Design Build contracts at the expense of other key disciplines is detrimental to the overall health of the firm. HNTB used to have a bonus program for the rank and file that could be initiated by the mid-level managers but that was eliminated 4 years ago when the bottom line became more important than the job satisfaction of the people. Office supplies have to be approved by upper management before they can be ordered. Several mid-level managers have left the firm in frustration and even the President of the company was let go for voicing his displeasure to the BoD.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, look in the mirror, your management style and corporate culture is strangling the life out of a once great company. Cronyism and selfish attitudes of managers are poisoning the corporate ladder. By pinching every red cent out of the bottom line you are taking the joy from the people who earn you the money.

Very good until the last few years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

I worked at HNTB Companies

Pros: I spent my formative professional years at this company. I got to cut my teeth on some great projects and work with some great people.… Cons: This all changed in the past few years. As annual sales were sent over $1B, the taste for continued growth and success outweighed the need… Advice to Senior Management: Let up a little on TOJ. Some of your greatest leaders have left - feeling the pressure of the need for billable hours - or… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Throw the bums out

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

I have been working at HNTB Companies

Pros: My co-workers are some of the brightest and most competent people, and are… Cons: Much of senior and sub-senior "leadership" is a serious threat to company viability. There is an extreme drought of company vision. At the very top,… Advice to Senior Management: Please, please, please get with the program. Learn to differentiate between quality leaders by measuring their performance in terms other than earnings/sales numbers. You will… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on HNTB Companies.

Worked for HNTB Companies? Contribute to the Community!