HNTB Companies

www.hntb.com

HNTB used to be a good, sometimes great, company. Today they are no better, sometimes worse, than their competitors.

Vice President (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsCompensation and office space is better than most competitors. Legacy relationships with clients and senior staff that are holding on keeps the company afloat. Still a strong civil firm if you are a civil engineer. Brand is still strong.

ConsExecs have made several poor strategic decisions over the past 5+ years. Jumped into the Federal market years after competitors made their play - and now that business unit is already gone. Current design / build initiative has no solid leadership. Legacy clients and business are often ignored due to the current 'next big thing' investment mindset. Company micro manages time on job to a level that distracts staff from focusing on projects / clients. HR leadership manages the staff like a minimum wage workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementPosition the company for a better future on your way out. Look outside your closed ranks for new ideas. Ask the younger leadership and staff for their opinion - and assign value to it. HNTB was built on big dreams - from time to time, really listen to the dreamers in the employee ranks.

Target new verticals and new opinions, but don't forget what made HNTB - long term client and employee loyalty. Appoint someone to the executive ranks that looks/talks/thinks different than you. Stop laying off the young staff - invest in building a future pipeline.

Most of the troops would settle for <10% annual returns in exchange for a better quality of life and an opportunity to deliver a project the right way. Salary doesn't guarantee loyalty. Stock returns don't guarantee happiness. Taking pride in one's work and having a reason to go to work everyday does.

Excellent

Engineer (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

I have been working at HNTB Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros: More room to learn with diff groups and grow Cons: I can't see any Cons Advice to Senior Management: Everyone is doing great job! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

pro's and cons and adive to management

Bridge Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

I have been working at HNTB Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros: benefits are good with good holidays Cons: conservative company and a flatter management structure would be beneifical Advice to Senior Management: none Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on HNTB Companies.

Worked for HNTB Companies? Contribute to the Community!