HNTB Companies
www.hntb.com Kansas City, MO 1000 to 5000 Employees

Manage by the numbers

Department Manager (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

ProsVery talented and highly educated engineers who can accomplish a myriad of projects. The company has great opportunities for designing and working on complex transportation projects. Salary and benefits are well above average.

ConsNo real direction from upper management. Ventured in the Federal market and then exited just as quickly while leaving a bad taste in clients' mouths and leaving bodies by the side of the road. Currently, the tunnel practice appears to be going down the same road. Design/build practice started off very strong and is now not meeting expectations.

TImesheets are tracked daily. The main concern of management is meeting the various matrices such as TOJ or Sales Goals with really no concern for the client. HNTB used to promote meeting client's expectations, on-time and under budget.

Officers are mostly hired from the outside. The only way that I or those who work around or for me to become an officer would be to leave and come back.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime for a change. Managing timesheets is not management. Put people in charge who understand and empathize with the employees. Follow the advise from the old commercial, get plane tickets and send all the division leaders and the officers around them to meet with their clients and see what is going on.

Opportunities and challenges were presented equally.

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

I worked at HNTB Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: corporate benefits and travel opportunities Cons: low morale, atmosphere is not very conducive for creative workforce Advice to Senior Management: loosen up & engage more with the dedicated workforce that… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

TOJ, Staff Up, Reduction in Force

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at HNTB Companies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Great national reputation as a design firm in the transportation… Cons: This company is completely and totally obsessed with profits. For an employee owned company, I have never seen so many layoffs in my decade long… Advice to Senior Management: Work share, and stop being obsessed with TOJ. Junior level staff should not be beaten down with TOJ every day. Also, not good seeing all… More
There are newer reviews on HNTB Companies.

Worked for HNTB Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HNTB Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HNTB Companies CEO Harvey K. Hammond Jr. All reviews posted anonymously by HNTB Companies employees.