HNTB Companies

There are newer employer reviews for HNTB Companies

Manage by the numbers

Current Employee - Department Manager in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Department Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at HNTB Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very talented and highly educated engineers who can accomplish a myriad of projects. The company has great opportunities for designing and working on complex transportation projects. Salary and benefits are well above average.

Cons

No real direction from upper management. Ventured in the Federal market and then exited just as quickly while leaving a bad taste in clients' mouths and leaving bodies by the side of the road. Currently, the tunnel practice appears to be going down the same road. Design/build practice started off very strong and is now not meeting expectations.

TImesheets are tracked daily. The main concern of management is meeting the various matrices such as TOJ or Sales Goals with really no concern for the client. HNTB used to promote meeting client's expectations, on-time and under budget.

Officers are mostly hired from the outside. The only way that I or those who work around or for me to become an officer would be to leave and come back.

Time for a change. Managing timesheets is not management. Put people in charge who understand and empathize with the employees. Follow the advise from the old commercial, get plane tickets and send all the division leaders and the officers around them to meet with their clients and see what is going on.

169 Other Employee Reviews for HNTB Companies (View Most Recent)

TOJ, Staff Up, Reduction in Force

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at HNTB Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great national reputation as a design firm in the transportation market

Cons

This company is completely and totally obsessed with profits. For an employee owned company, I have never seen so many layoffs in my decade long career. Work sharing is also horrible. You could have an employee laid off with a rec open for that same position. No infinitive to work share. Every office is its own business unit. Literally, I have seen engineers hired and released within a year due to work load and projects ending. Experienced 5 layoffs in 10 years, including one 3 months after I was hired. Also, all officer level positions filled from outside. Very few officers get there organically.

Work share, and stop being obsessed with TOJ. Junior level staff should not be beaten down with TOJ every day. Also, not good seeing all office leadership hired from outside. Hire good people and bring them through the ranks. Maybe it is because no one stays around long enough to become an officer. It is a huge slap in the face to spend 10 years with the company and see someone hired from Timbuck Two as an AVP or VP. No company loyalty.

Opportunities and challenges were presented equally.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at HNTB Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

corporate benefits and travel opportunities

Cons

low morale, atmosphere is not very conducive for creative workforce

loosen up & engage more with the dedicated workforce that is getting the projects out the door

There are newer employer reviews for HNTB Companies