There are newer employer reviews for HSBC Canada

Co-op Intern

Former Intern - Co-Op Intern in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
Former Intern - Co-Op Intern in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at HSBC Canada as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

My work was very relaxed, there were lots of other interns my age (University) there that were great fun, and we were pretty much able to make our own work.

Cons

Your experience will vary wildly depending on the team you are placed on. Some people had things even more relaxed than I did, with one person threatening to quit in his third month there unless he was given some work to do since he was so bored. On the opposite end of the scale, some people were very overworked and/or had managers from hell that berated them until they were on the verge of tears.

Advice to Management

My manager never had a good grasp on what me or my co-op partner were doing. The fullest extent of his involvement was popping in to ask us if we had something to do once every month or so. Being more active with the co-ops would be appreciated.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great

I have been working at HSBC Canada full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small bank, get to see a lot of thing you wouldn't normally see at a bigger bank until much later in your career

Cons

salaries seem to be below market

2. Not as great of a company as I thought it would be.....

Former Employee - Financial Analyst
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst

I worked at HSBC Canada full-time

Pros

Large company, with a good name and strong international presence. Looks good at least on your resume if you want to have some large financial institution on it.

Cons

Management is very poor and do not care about their workers. Poorly executed strategy and constantly in a rush to do things without thorough planning. Will always be a Tier 2 bank in Canada so it is better to work for the big 5.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees, especially when you claim you have an open door policy.

There are newer employer reviews for HSBC Canada