There are newer employer reviews for HSBC Holdings

was great under household, very beaureaucratic now with multiple and unnecessary layers of management

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Mettawa, IL
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good work life balance, decent benefits

Cons

very biased senior management, no opportunities for growth as company is running down the household finance business it purchased in 2003

Advice to Management

learn to reward deserving people and treat lower level employees more fairly

Other Employee Reviews for HSBC Holdings

They're Laying Off Like Crazy in Buffalo, NY Right Now

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Pros

When I worked hard and made extra efforts I was compensated for it (bonuses, raises)...but never promoted. It's the luck of the draw though - depending on who your direct managers & supervisors are (see Cons below).

Cons

Well the main con is that they're laying off like crazy right now and probably won't be in Buffalo past 2013. They got rid of 1500-2000 with the Capital One sale (this includes other sites around the country). And in the past two weeks about 200-500 more HSBC Buffalo employees have been laid off. I wouldn't be surprised if hundreds if not thousands more will be laid off by the end of this year due to the sale of the branches to First Niagara last weekend. On to other cons...HSBC likes to move uneducated management around within the company - managers from one dept to another who have no clue about their new dept. and also promote people who have no college and/or don't have enough experience of the job. Why do they do this? Because then they don't have to pay what the job is worth, because that would require hiring someone with a degree and/or previous management experience in that field who would require a lot more money. When management doesn't have a clue about the job, it trickles down and makes everyone's lives miserable. (see 'Advice to Management' for a continuation of this). This is Buffalo I'm talking about, maybe it's different in NYC...

Advice to Management

Business degrees should be mandatory for management and supervisory positions (from what I've witnessed at HSBC). The financial industry is constantly changing and require those who are up-to-date on new technologies and processes, laws, etc. HSBC needs to buck up and be willing to pay what the job is worth. People who don't know their job become tyrannical in an effort to cover up the fact that they don't know. This allows for power plays and bullying among their associates which leads to many miserable employees who are constantly posting to other departments and other banks. I've seen many departments lose good, hard-working smart people and the work suffers. I'm telling you, poor management is the root cause of every disgruntled employee I've come across.

2. okish

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Buffalo, NY

Pros

the global breath and reach of the company is awesome and the ability to move from one dept to the other or from country to country.

Cons

The company has great potential but managed by people with personal ambitions and less care about the company and its staff

Advice to Management

Put your staff first and be active in providing direction and growth to your staff. investment in your people and dont loose sight of the company's core values