There are newer employer reviews for HSBC Holdings

It was my first job, so it was OK....

Former Employee - Senior Global Support Executive  in  Las Cruces, NM
Former Employee - Senior Global Support Executive in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice Environment, Great Direct Boss

Cons

The working hours were really odd

960 Other Employee Reviews for HSBC Holdings (View Most Recent)

VP

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Mettawa, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President in Mettawa, IL

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits (pension with medical) for legacy employees, opportunity to work remote.

Cons

Lots of talk about employees should only work on the things that matter most but employees are not really given the opportunity to do so.

Horrible - Unsupportive, stuck in old ways, HSBC has no interest in US

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mettawa, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mettawa, IL

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

HSBC is a top global banking brand. Anyone with any banking or commercial knowledge knows that. Once you finally want to get out of HSBC, it looks great on your resume. If you are lucky enough to get laid off, they treat you well and give you good severance. Also can work from home. occasionally

Cons

1. HSBC in US is a dying cause: The only area the company places major focus on is commercial banking arm. Retail banking and GB&M are both shrinking in size (though still will exist), and all of the finance company has either been sold off or is in run off. There is opportunity to move up, but if you want to work in an environment where everyone is on their toes for lay offs, then that is up to you.
    2. The atmosphere supports no entrepreneurial attitude or creativity in your job (at the staff/manager level). They just want someone to complete part of the process, and they could care less about what you can bring to the table or who you are as a person.
    3. The office is really nice, but it is in the middle of no where. No body socializes at work due to the uptight office culture (although gossiping is worse than it was in HS), and certainly no body goes out after work for happy hour.
    4. Just a depressing atmosphere in general - everybody in this office knows lay offs already have or are soon to occur and that HSBC USA is not mainstream HSBC at all. We are a portion of a global bank that is a major drag on group consolidated earnings (due to our mortgage portfolio).

I understand what management is doing - makes full sense - I guess maybe they could just be more open about it and not act like things are so glamorous.

There are newer employer reviews for HSBC Holdings

Worked for HSBC Holdings? Contribute to the Community!