HSBC Holdings
www.hsbc.com London, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Horrible - Unsupportive, stuck in old ways, HSBC has no interest in US

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Mettawa, IL

ProsHSBC is a top global banking brand. Anyone with any banking or commercial knowledge knows that. Once you finally want to get out of HSBC, it looks great on your resume. If you are lucky enough to get laid off, they treat you well and give you good severance. Also can work from home. occasionally

Cons1. HSBC in US is a dying cause: The only area the company places major focus on is commercial banking arm. Retail banking and GB&M are both shrinking in size (though still will exist), and all of the finance company has either been sold off or is in run off. There is opportunity to move up, but if you want to work in an environment where everyone is on their toes for lay offs, then that is up to you.
2. The atmosphere supports no entrepreneurial attitude or creativity in your job (at the staff/manager level). They just want someone to complete part of the process, and they could care less about what you can bring to the table or who you are as a person.
3. The office is really nice, but it is in the middle of no where. No body socializes at work due to the uptight office culture (although gossiping is worse than it was in HS), and certainly no body goes out after work for happy hour.
4. Just a depressing atmosphere in general - everybody in this office knows lay offs already have or are soon to occur and that HSBC USA is not mainstream HSBC at all. We are a portion of a global bank that is a major drag on group consolidated earnings (due to our mortgage portfolio).

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand what management is doing - makes full sense - I guess maybe they could just be more open about it and not act like things are so glamorous.

Blah

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Depew, NY

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than a year

Pros: Casual dress code, ok wages Cons: With all the changes going on, the higher ups kept… More

Good place to work at!

Lead Credit Policy and Risk Analyst (Current Employee)
    Tigard, OR

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time for more than a year

Pros: Large multinational with diverse economic exposures. Diverse roles and internal movement… Cons: Hierarchical and bureaucratic Longer times to get things approved Advice to Senior Management: Keep it up. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on HSBC Holdings.

Worked for HSBC Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HSBC Holdings reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HSBC Holdings CEO Stuart T. Gulliver. All reviews posted anonymously by HSBC Holdings employees.