Inconsistent direction and mission

Current Employee - Business Systems Consultant in Mettawa, IL
Current Employee - Business Systems Consultant in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

working from home, some ability to learn stable technologies but not enough emphasis on learning or networking with industry partners.

Cons

unsure of commitment to US and Midwest region, poor performance management, managers do not have time to manager their direct reports, low tolerance for risk or failure, tends to lag market in adopting technology.

Advice to Management

Take some risks and really allow employees to control their destinies

reviews filtered by
  1. Good company to gain experience, move around, and advance.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Depew, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Depew, NY

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

HSBC had a good corporate culture overall. Employee growth was encouraged through company paid trainings, as well as, tuition assistance. There were good benefits, quarterly financial incentives, and a decent time off program.

Cons

Upgrades were not always communicated properly creating user issues and problems within the department that was responsible for resolving them. Favoritism within certain groups pulled down team morale.

Advice to Management

Stop letting your personal dislike impact your employee's reviews.

The ship is sinking...

Current Employee - Collections Representative II in Brandon, FL
    Current Employee - Collections Representative II in Brandon, FL

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, good bonuses, lots of overtime available, not open 24/7, cafeteria, clean, ample parking, good location, nice lobby, security.

Cons

I was hired as a collections rep II. From what was blatantly said by senior management HSBC is liquidating their mortgage portfolios and there are no plans to generate new ones. They have been fined for regulation violations (predatory lending) and are looking to sell the portfolio altogether. This has already been done w/ their credit card portfolio. The time frame given 'long term' was three years, so don't plan on being there long. I believe HSBC is a wonderful company to be employed with, if you are in a higher up position. For collections and customer service they're simply hiring bodies at this point to help liquidate the portfolio before it is sold. This has led to very lax employment requirements, in my training class I witnessed racial slurs "that's just one more white person I can check off my list, I don't like them anyway", obscenities, markers and such being thrown, passing gas loudly and purposely in the elevator, and sexual comments as well. I believe there would be less disorder in a prison yard. The employees who have been there for a while seem to be equally disgusted in the new-hire classes. One last thing, the dress code is neither interpreted or enforced, much of the time I felt as if I was in a club; abundances of cleavage, spandex, six inch platform heels, bamboo earrings, bright orange hair, tattoos,etc. (see posted pic). If you are at all looking for a job that utilizes skills or education go elsewhere. If you're looking to get in and out and make some fast money in the next couple years then this would be a good place for you (the job itself isn't that bad if you can make it through the god-awful subjugation of the training class).

Advice to Management

I get it, hire the bodies, get the money, and jump ship before it sinks. However, trainers should make it a point to report/reprimand behavior such as the above; racism, sexism, bigotry, and foul and vulgar language=liability.