Habitat for Humanity
www.habitat.org Americus, GA 1000 to 5000 Employees

The local financial director approached me with a job offer so I took it. Frustrated, I soon quit.

Carpenter/Supervisor/Volunteer (Former Employee)
Steamboat Springs, CO

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time for less than a year

ProsIn some parts of the world they seem to be providing houses for folks who could not otherwise afford it. Some volunteers are probably learning some new skills along the way.

ConsThe low wages that are offered will not attract highly skilled people. When you combine that with completely unskilled volunteers and cheap or donated materials, this makes for a very poorly constructed house.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven the small chapters of Habitat for Humanity who only build one house at a time need to have a team of well paid professionals to manage projects and supervise volunteers.
The small chapter I worked for was mainly staffed by volunteers and the few hired folks that were there were severely underpaid and overwhelmed with responsibility far beyond their capabilities.
It will cost way less to pay a fair wage and hire a team of expert skilled people. This will enable you to properly supervise volunteers rather than waste materials and overwhelm an underpaid person to fix mistakes in a panic while racing to meet deadlines.
But remember we are all human. Even the best of us will make mistakes and we shouldn't be made to feel like a fool for it.
The sign of a good builder is how well you treat your workers, how well you manage mistakes and how efficient you are when things are going right, not how fast or cheap you say you can build it.
Be suspicious of low bids. Always taking low bid is a crippling mistake. Be suspicious of those who undercut others just to get the job. Contractors who underbid will cut corners, push workers, create hazards, leave loose ends and make mistakes that will cost you more to fix in the long run.

Used People as tools, then discarded them

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Louisville, KY

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Meet interesting people at the store Cons: Meet interesting felons from Dismas House Advice to Senior Management: Get a clue No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Habitat has some of the most thoughtful and compassionate people I have ever worked with.

Art Director (Former Employee)
Americus, GA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time for less than a year

Pros: Being able to help people in need. Cons: Lack of deep organizations often is apparent. Sometimes there is… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Habitat for Humanity.

Worked for Habitat for Humanity? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Habitat for Humanity reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Habitat for Humanity CEO Jonathan T. M. Reckford. All reviews posted anonymously by Habitat for Humanity employees.