The local financial director approached me with a job offer so I took it. Frustrated, I soon quit.

Former Employee - Carpenter/Supervisor/Volunteer  in  Steamboat Springs, CO
Former Employee - Carpenter/Supervisor/Volunteer in Steamboat Springs, CO

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time for less than a year

Pros

In some parts of the world they seem to be providing houses for folks who could not otherwise afford it. Some volunteers are probably learning some new skills along the way.

Cons

The low wages that are offered will not attract highly skilled people. When you combine that with completely unskilled volunteers and cheap or donated materials, this makes for a very poorly constructed house.

Even the small chapters of Habitat for Humanity who only build one house at a time need to have a team of well paid professionals to manage projects and supervise volunteers.
The small chapter I worked for was mainly staffed by volunteers and the few hired folks that were there were severely underpaid and overwhelmed with responsibility far beyond their capabilities.
It will cost way less to pay a fair wage and hire a team of expert skilled people. This will enable you to properly supervise volunteers rather than waste materials and overwhelm an underpaid person to fix mistakes in a panic while racing to meet deadlines.
But remember we are all human. Even the best of us will make mistakes and we shouldn't be made to feel like a fool for it.
The sign of a good builder is how well you treat your workers, how well you manage mistakes and how efficient you are when things are going right, not how fast or cheap you say you can build it.
Be suspicious of low bids. Always taking low bid is a crippling mistake. Be suspicious of those who undercut others just to get the job. Contractors who underbid will cut corners, push workers, create hazards, leave loose ends and make mistakes that will cost you more to fix in the long run.

Other Reviews for Habitat for Humanity

Habitat has some of the most thoughtful and compassionate people I have ever worked with.

Former Employee - Art Director  in  Americus, GA
    Former Employee - Art Director in Americus, GA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Being able to help people in need.

Cons

Lack of deep organizations often is apparent. Sometimes there is too much of a grass-roots approach when thorough organization is needed.

A personable learning experience

Current Employee - Floor Manager  in  Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Floor Manager in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For helping poor families get a home of thier own. Meeting the community and helping them one family at a time. Learning a wide range of donated products.

Cons

Bad pay. Open to many new germs from donations.

Listen to your employees and take thier advice and suggestions.

There are newer employer reviews for Habitat for Humanity.

Worked for Habitat for Humanity? Contribute to the Community!