Habitat for Humanity

www.habitat.org
  www.habitat.org
There are newer employer reviews for Habitat for Humanity

Used People as tools, then discarded them

Former Employee - Store Manager in Louisville, KY
Former Employee - Store Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meet interesting people at the store

Cons

Meet interesting felons from Dismas House

Get a clue

200 Other Employee Reviews for Habitat for Humanity (View Most Recent)

The local financial director approached me with a job offer so I took it. Frustrated, I soon quit.

Former Employee - Carpenter/Supervisor/Volunteer in Steamboat Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Carpenter/Supervisor/Volunteer in Steamboat Springs, CO

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

In some parts of the world they seem to be providing houses for folks who could not otherwise afford it. Some volunteers are probably learning some new skills along the way.

Cons

The low wages that are offered will not attract highly skilled people. When you combine that with completely unskilled volunteers and cheap or donated materials, this makes for a very poorly constructed house.

Even the small chapters of Habitat for Humanity who only build one house at a time need to have a team of well paid professionals to manage projects and supervise volunteers.
    The small chapter I worked for was mainly staffed by volunteers and the few hired folks that were there were severely underpaid and overwhelmed with responsibility far beyond their capabilities.
    It will cost way less to pay a fair wage and hire a team of expert skilled people. This will enable you to properly supervise volunteers rather than waste materials and overwhelm an underpaid person to fix mistakes in a panic while racing to meet deadlines.
    But remember we are all human. Even the best of us will make mistakes and we shouldn't be made to feel like a fool for it.
    The sign of a good builder is how well you treat your workers, how well you manage mistakes and how efficient you are when things are going right, not how fast or cheap you say you can build it.
    Be suspicious of low bids. Always taking low bid is a crippling mistake. Be suspicious of those who undercut others just to get the job. Contractors who underbid will cut corners, push workers, create hazards, leave loose ends and make mistakes that will cost you more to fix in the long run.

Habitat has some of the most thoughtful and compassionate people I have ever worked with.

Former Employee - Art Director in Americus, GA
    Former Employee - Art Director in Americus, GA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being able to help people in need.

Cons

Lack of deep organizations often is apparent. Sometimes there is too much of a grass-roots approach when thorough organization is needed.

There are newer employer reviews for Habitat for Humanity