There are newer employer reviews for Habitat for Humanity

Great job, until lay off

Former Employee - Office Administrative  in  Lancaster, PA
Former Employee - Office Administrative in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

got plenty of raises, small office, felt like family. Lots of support from main office.

Cons

mis managed affiliates, ran by board of directors (volunteer)

176 Other Employee Reviews for Habitat for Humanity (View Most Recent)

this experience was completly wonderfull

Current Employee - Construction Supervisor
    Current Employee - Construction Supervisor

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Helping people help others in need

Cons

There really were not any really

I have no advice for management

The local financial director approached me with a job offer so I took it. Frustrated, I soon quit.

Former Employee - Carpenter/Supervisor/Volunteer  in  Steamboat Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Carpenter/Supervisor/Volunteer in Steamboat Springs, CO

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time for less than a year

Pros

In some parts of the world they seem to be providing houses for folks who could not otherwise afford it. Some volunteers are probably learning some new skills along the way.

Cons

The low wages that are offered will not attract highly skilled people. When you combine that with completely unskilled volunteers and cheap or donated materials, this makes for a very poorly constructed house.

Even the small chapters of Habitat for Humanity who only build one house at a time need to have a team of well paid professionals to manage projects and supervise volunteers.
    The small chapter I worked for was mainly staffed by volunteers and the few hired folks that were there were severely underpaid and overwhelmed with responsibility far beyond their capabilities.
    It will cost way less to pay a fair wage and hire a team of expert skilled people. This will enable you to properly supervise volunteers rather than waste materials and overwhelm an underpaid person to fix mistakes in a panic while racing to meet deadlines.
    But remember we are all human. Even the best of us will make mistakes and we shouldn't be made to feel like a fool for it.
    The sign of a good builder is how well you treat your workers, how well you manage mistakes and how efficient you are when things are going right, not how fast or cheap you say you can build it.
    Be suspicious of low bids. Always taking low bid is a crippling mistake. Be suspicious of those who undercut others just to get the job. Contractors who underbid will cut corners, push workers, create hazards, leave loose ends and make mistakes that will cost you more to fix in the long run.

There are newer employer reviews for Habitat for Humanity

Worked for Habitat for Humanity? Contribute to the Community!