There are newer employer reviews for Habitat for Humanity

Wonderful experience! Thanks to an incredible team and supervisor, I have grown tremendously.

I worked at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

People, work-life balance, mission, benefits

Cons

I don't have much to say in this area, other than the compensation is rather low given the job responsibilities

Advice to Management

Increase compensation so that talented employees can stay there longer!

reviews filtered by

Aweful leadership with lack of vision and support of employees

I worked at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

Great, friendly customers who care about reuse/recycling. Coworkers in my department were always hardworking. 10 day break between Christmas and NYE.

Cons

Discontent between ReStore employees and HFHSTL proper. ReStore employees get paid much less than others in the organization that work in the office often when they have the same skills and education as their counterparts.

HFHSTL's mission is to help homeowners get homes with zero interest by "sweat equity". But in 2011 when the bank for HFHSTL forgave ALL of the late payments from homeowners, HFHSTL took the money, but continued to charge the homeowners late payments and fees on top of that. I couldn't stay there after that.

Directors do not give reviews on time; you have to contsantly "remind" them in order to get one.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the caustic Director's who inhibit growth and potential of good employees. Give ReStore employees a higher salary to retain the good ones. The sales of the store more than pay for it while still contributing to HFH funds.

Very disappointing first work experience out of college

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fascinating community (working with volunteers to women prisoners to drug and alcohol rehab volunteers).

Cons

As an AmeriCorps member, pay was horrendous. There's no worse feeling than putting your college degree to work for minimum wage. No matter what the experts say, underemployment is worse than unemployment.

Physically draining, heavy workload, hostile manager.

Advice to Management

Try to brainstorm ways to utilize the full resources of your full-time staff, as well as full-time AmeriCorps members in a holistic way. If someone has a master's degree (as did one of my co-workers), try to find a more meaningful use of their time than caulking windows for 7 hours per day.