There are newer employer reviews for Habitat for Humanity

Probably one of the most satisfying positions of employment I have had as HFH staff supports me!

Current Employee - Office Manager Via Experience Works in Toledo, OH
Current Employee - Office Manager Via Experience Works in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

People working together to assist others in bettering themselves which what I feel true spirituality is all about.

Cons

Some of the " volunteer staff" but we all learn in time.

Thanks for allowing me to work for you and my co-workers!

184 Other Employee Reviews for Habitat for Humanity (View Most Recent)

I loved the employees and volunteers~! Along with management, they made the job fun!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

The management is very encouraging! It doesn't even seem like work. I would go back in a heart beat. Their mission to help those in critical need is humbling. I couldn't say a bad word about working there, even with the fact that I was doing community service!

Cons

There is no airconditioning in the home improvement area. ha

I can't think of anything.

Nice people, extremely poor management and lots of waste or money and energy

Former Employee - Communications Area in Americus, GA
    Former Employee - Communications Area in Americus, GA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

The people that are attracted to working at Habitat in the non-executive area are extremely warm, caring and lovely people. I made friends with people of all ages, from many parts of the country, of different faiths. People I never would have even encountered in my former life in academia. Pretty good benefits, although matching of 401K was dropped while I was there. Relaxed atmosphere, not too many rules, and genuine caring about staff and their personal lives. I personally loved my job there, but I carefully chose something I love to do and made sure I worked with a manager I liked.

Cons

Low pay for the original staff members and staff in Americus. Huge discrepancy between salaries of management in Atlanta and staff hired from outside. Americus, unless you are from there, is a really dismal place to live. When you really examine the financials, the organization is not particularly effective. It has very good name recognition (I was often told its value was equal to Federal Express), and the organization sort of rests on that. Extreme lack of transparency in terms of numbers and financial reporting. What's on the web, annual reports, etc., does not jibe with the numbers in the field. Horrendous human resources department: slow, rude. Georgia is a "right to work" state, and I heard many horror stories of people (many long-timers) getting fired due to age, being disliked by a new manager, not fitting in, or for no reason at all.

Anyone at Habitat will tell you that it has become extremely "corporate." Departments, titles, and initiatives are created and dissolved overnight. Very high turnover in Atlanta. The management I worked with had often blown it at their previous jobs and ended up at Habitat, which does not seem to attract really good, seasoned talent with any real track records. Management tends to hide behind lots of layers, meetings, issuing meaningless reports, strategy sessions, etc., that don't result in anything. Half of management could be eliminated and nobody would notice. Habitat wants to be one of the Big Boys, but it simply does not have the experience or talent yet to be on par with the really excellent nonprofits of similar size.

There are newer employer reviews for Habitat for Humanity