Hachette Book Group

www.hachettebookgroup.com
  www.hachettebookgroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hachette Book Group

Great Intern Experience

I worked at Hachette Book Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very welcoming and friendly environment.
You can take free books home.
A very thorough and well thought out program for interns that really helps give you great insight on the industry and the various departments.
You truly learn a lot about the industry.
You never know who you will run into.

Cons

As an intern, I didn't really find anything to complain about. Maybe it can depend on which department you're working in.

50 Other Employee Reviews for Hachette Book Group (View Most Recent)

Overall, a good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hachette Book Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, interesting and stimulating projects/work, fun atmosphere and many company events, good perks (free books!) and benefits including 401k matching, charitable donation matching, a decent amount of vacation time, and a good health plan

Cons

Some departments have good managers and lots of growth opportunities, but some unlucky departments have the opposite. Wages are on the low end, even for publishing. Work can be either very slow or very stressful—there is no in-between.

Don't be so comfortable with the status quo—take seriously the concerns of your employees, not just the ones in senior management.

You know what rolls downhill...

Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful colleagues--attracts the best talent! Great benefits-- I'll stay a while to keep them. The management supports doing your work well and will never encourage cutting corners or being lazy-- in my case, that I can edit my heart out. Lovely books. Great place to be if you're upper management.

Cons

Managers are out of touch with what their employees do, so are surprised when employees are over-worked. Work-life balance is poor; 20% of my division works to or past 9pm at least once a week. Though raises happen every year, they're are minimal even with a promotion until you get an offer from another house; then you're worth quite a bit more to them. Senior management is paid very well, and are happy up there, so they have a hard time believing how poor morale is in the rest of the company. They don't take suggestions for improving things, and tend to place the blame back on the lower-level employees.

This used to be a great company, but now morale is lower than I've seen it in all my years here and I see us losing talent, both employees and authors. Listen to employees, create an environment where they can speak to upper management freely without fear of reprisal; try to make a more egalitarian workplace that values the voices even from the bottom. If you work with your employees rather than separate yourselves from them, this could be a best-in-class company once again.

There are newer employer reviews for Hachette Book Group