Hachette Book Group

www.hachettebookgroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hachette Book Group

You know what rolls downhill...

Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY
Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful colleagues--attracts the best talent! Great benefits-- I'll stay a while to keep them. The management supports doing your work well and will never encourage cutting corners or being lazy-- in my case, that I can edit my heart out. Lovely books. Great place to be if you're upper management.

Cons

Managers are out of touch with what their employees do, so are surprised when employees are over-worked. Work-life balance is poor; 20% of my division works to or past 9pm at least once a week. Though raises happen every year, they're are minimal even with a promotion until you get an offer from another house; then you're worth quite a bit more to them. Senior management is paid very well, and are happy up there, so they have a hard time believing how poor morale is in the rest of the company. They don't take suggestions for improving things, and tend to place the blame back on the lower-level employees.

This used to be a great company, but now morale is lower than I've seen it in all my years here and I see us losing talent, both employees and authors. Listen to employees, create an environment where they can speak to upper management freely without fear of reprisal; try to make a more egalitarian workplace that values the voices even from the bottom. If you work with your employees rather than separate yourselves from them, this could be a best-in-class company once again.

52 Other Employee Reviews for Hachette Book Group (View Most Recent)

Very slow, laid back atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Hachette Book Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very easy work, seems like most employees are under worked
    Fun company functions and events
    Friendly managers and executives

Cons

Not great opportunity for advancement
    Too slow and boring sometimes
    Low pay

N/a

Company in need of a makeover

I have been working at Hachette Book Group

Pros

The people are really friendly, good benefits and vacation time as well as great books.

Cons

There is a lot of lack of communication. HBG is a lot of chiefs and not enough Indians, all upper management and little to no mid level or lower level employees. Most departments are heavily under staffed while managers sit in meetings all day. Promotions and salary increases are nonexistent for lower level employees but if your upper management sure here's more money. The company consistently boost about retaining talent but they aren't willing to promote and grow their employees to retain the talent. There has been a huge turnover rate with more and more people leaving everyday. When I first started here I was really happy because of the work environment but nice coworkers only go so far and with all this low moral it's just not a good place anymore.

There are newer employer reviews for Hachette Book Group