Hachette Book Group

www.hachettebookgroup.com
  www.hachettebookgroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hachette Book Group

Great company with a relaxed atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relaxed dress code, opportunity to learn and grow, great co-workers, and fun company functions when I was there. Overall, I think it was the best job I ever had

Cons

Pay was low and some senior managers / directors were a nightmare to work with. Sometimes it took for ever to get a raise. And there was some high turnover in some departments, but for the most part, people were in it for the long haul.

50 Other Employee Reviews for Hachette Book Group (View Most Recent)

Relaxed corporate culture, dedicated staff.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hachette Book Group full-time

Pros

Good work life balance programs. Friendly colleagues. Good product.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities to management

You know what rolls downhill...

Current Employee - Editor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Wonderful colleagues--attracts the best talent! Great benefits-- I'll stay a while to keep them. The management supports doing your work well and will never encourage cutting corners or being lazy-- in my case, that I can edit my heart out. Lovely books. Great place to be if you're upper management.

Cons

Managers are out of touch with what their employees do, so are surprised when employees are over-worked. Work-life balance is poor; 20% of my division works to or past 9pm at least once a week. Though raises happen every year, they're are minimal even with a promotion until you get an offer from another house; then you're worth quite a bit more to them. Senior management is paid very well, and are happy up there, so they have a hard time believing how poor morale is in the rest of the company. They don't take suggestions for improving things, and tend to place the blame back on the lower-level employees.

This used to be a great company, but now morale is lower than I've seen it in all my years here and I see us losing talent, both employees and authors. Listen to employees, create an environment where they can speak to upper management freely without fear of reprisal; try to make a more egalitarian workplace that values the voices even from the bottom. If you work with your employees rather than separate yourselves from them, this could be a best-in-class company once again.

There are newer employer reviews for Hachette Book Group

Worked for Hachette Book Group? Contribute to the Community!