Halliburton

www.halliburton.com

Great place to drift to the end of your career.

Corporate IT (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThey own a significant share of the O&G services market... so they'll survive no matter what they do wrong. Decent benefits. In some ways, a very innovative company.

ConsHalliburton is, basically, a "neck down" company... as opposed to say Apple as an example of "neck up" company. The real cash cow is from hard, dirty work in the middle of nowhere... muscle, not brains.
Each PSL (division if you will) is autonomous and therefore consistency is almost non-existent. Land in the right PSL and you'll have a good job and a pretty good experience... wrong one, and it can be a real drag. Corporate is weak and seems to be a dumping ground for those who couldn't fit in at a PSL. I worked in Corporate and it was pretty hard to stay positive... a LOT of slackers just filling space until they retire and a lot of contractors with no motivation to do anything but make their billable hours last as long as possible. Some of the facilities are just dumps and the location I was posted was nicknamed "Halcatraz" because it resembled a prison in almost every way. Not a real motivator driving in each morning... but nice to see in the rearview.
Oh, and beware... the culture is one of "get along at all costs then backstab when the opportunity arises". You can stay forever if you never upset anyone or fail to "fit in"... by, for example, pointing out they are preventing progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop shuffling the deck chairs and start putting management in place who truly care about delivering and assembling top staff to do so. A PMO manager who has never managed a project... but was just do for his next shuffle... really?

Great company overall but IT management uses intimidation, fear and bullying as techniques

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

I worked at Halliburton as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: Great salary; co-workers are very knowledgable and helpful; gym, daycare… Cons: Don't trust IT management; high attritionrate; bosses perceived as bullies; contractors should expect to stay contractors although managers will entice people to stay with the… Advice to Senior Management: too many chiefs and not enough Indians to do the detailed work needed; IT management needs to be revamped since bullying, fear and intimidation are… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

It is a quality learning experience, but management overall is severely lacking.

Field Engineer (Current Employee) Midland, TX

I have been working at Halliburton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Regular schedule, autonomy and minimal contact with management. Very… Cons: Low pay compared to other companies for same work. Too… Advice to Senior Management: Stop stepping over dollars to pick up dimes. There is very little use in saving $10,000 a month and increasing another useless expenditure by… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Halliburton.

Worked for Halliburton? Contribute to the Community!