Halliburton
www.halliburton.com Houston, TX 5000+ Employees

The most disorganized, inefficient company I've ever worked for.

Operator Assistant - Cementing (Current Employee)
Zanesville, OH

Pros-BENEFITS - Health ins is good and premium is reasonable. Good 401k. Company paid life insurance with option to buy more at a VERY low rate. Dental, Vision, FSA, LTD.
-OVERTIME: there is always overtime - at a minimum 15hrs/wk. As a commuter you automatically get paid for 9hrs every day - whether you are sitting in the hotel or out on a job. I've been told there is usually 30-50hrs/wk of overtime, but I haven't seen this yet (3 months into the job).
-PER DIEM - As a commuter you get $32/day paid in your paycheck. If you don't commute you get a daily rate based on if you work 8 or more hours.
-VACATION: Start out with 2wks per year - available immediately

Cons-HR is a joke-disorganized and totally disconnected from the heart of the company: the field crew

-COMMUTING: I mentioned I'm a "commuter." I'm assigned to Zanesville Ohio, and was told I MUST live withing 1hr of Zanesville, but facility is not completed so they have me commuting to Homer City, PA (3hrs away). They DO NOT reimburse you for mileage and do not provide you transportation. You are responsible to get there on your own dime, which for me is to the tune of: $70 round trip = about $300/mo in gas - not accounting for all the wear and tear I put on my vehicle driving 800 miles/month.

-TRAINING: I'm waiting for it to live up to it's reputation. I've been on the job 3 months and haven't learned much more than when I started. I'm a "commuter" - driving 3 hrs every shift only to sit in a hotel most of the time. When I do get called out nobody on the crew wants to explain anything or answer questions. I've read rave reviews about the training, but so far that only appears to be good on "paper" - where you just do competencies on a computer all day - no real hands-on training.

-MANAGEMENT: The don't know if they are coming or going and have no clue how to communicate. Most management is there by default-they've been with the company so long that they eventually become managers. This seems to be a "cultural standard" in all of the energy service companies (Halliburton, Schlumberger, Baker Hughes, Weatherford, etc.). I don't know how these companies stay afloat with such disorganized middle management.

-WORK/LIFE Balance is crap: but that is to be expected in this line of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore hands-on training. Pay for your employees to commute or provide company-paid transportation. Provide more extensive training for your managers - they lack professionalism, organizational and communication skills.

Great career starter in oil and gas

I have been working at Halliburton

Pros: Great training for new professionals in oil field Cons: Lower paying service companies in the industry More

MWD/LWD Tech

MWD Tech (Current Employee)
    Casper, WY

I have been working at Halliburton full-time for more than a year

Pros: People, management, work pace, mobility, progression, learning, opportunity. Cons: Unorganized, hanging on to unmotivated employees. Advice to Senior Management: Communicate better with your lower level workers who are building… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Halliburton.

Worked for Halliburton? Contribute to the Community!

Halliburton – Why Work for Us?

What We Do, Where You'll Fit In the coming decades, energy resources will become increasingly difficult to find and access. As one of the world's largest providers of products and services to the upstream energy… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Halliburton reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Halliburton CEO Dave Lesar. All reviews posted anonymously by Halliburton employees.