Halloween City
www.halloweencity.com Overland Park, KS 5000+ Employees

If your not lazy, you'll have fun

Fitting Rooms/Floor Associate (V Seasons) (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

ProsIt's fun to see all the costumes and hear customers Halloween plans. I've met some great people that are fun to work with, and my managers gave me the training to know i'm doing a good job. Positive feedback comes often enough I don't second-guess myself, and my managers are very easy to talk to and understanding when I need time off. At the same time, they are strict when they need to be and know how to get things done. They truly deserve more credit for the stress, and hours, they put up with.

ConsDistrict managers wasting our time. We lost many hours during set up this past year because our DM, new this year, kept switching things around and treating people who have worked here 3+ years like idiots. How about you listen to the people who have set up the store several times over before getting an attitude and assuming you must be right because your the DM? Also, some employees are extremely lazy. I know thats not completely the companies fault, but the screening process could be a bit tighter - blatantly texting on the store floor, hitting on customers, sitting at the fitting room table....highly frustrating to see.

Also, the orange vests. We had black/orange aprons at some point, and the pockets were extremely useful! I think aprons would make employees look more professional, and get in the way less (I'm a size 3, and all but two of the vests we were sent were XL or above. Looks ridiculous).

Advice to Senior ManagementScreen your employees a bit more. We get tons of applications and I know you don't have time to interview everyone, but a good judgement of character would keep people from not showing up or quitting. Last year, I think 5 people either quit or got fired - and several more people deserved to be. Thats hours of training and paperwork wasted. I think it needs to be made clear in the interview that this job does get extremely hectic, and someone who thinks they can just walk the aisles and not pick up things is a waste of the companies time and money.

The training videos, while hilarious, should have more valuable information for late-season new hires. The main scene that irks me is concerning the selling of accessories. What to suggest for a maid costume? Fishnets and heels! A nurse costume? Fishnets and heels! Lets be creative, guys! Late-season new hires are being baptized by fire, give them a little more to go on!

Temp employee - and treated as such...

General Manager (Former Employee)
    Layton, UT

I worked at Halloween City

Pros: Perfect if you love Halloween Lot of work / busy, not… Cons: Temp Work only. Infexible pay rate scale Cannot get 40 hours as an effort to avoid overtime Poor treatment - people treated as "throw-aways" Person called out sick once… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Frustrated with lack of structure & forethought.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Olympia, WA

I worked at Halloween City

Pros: Employees discount on merchandise after 7 days of employment. Beyond that… Cons: The company focus on the bottom line seems to create unachievable goals & employee frustration.… Advice to Senior Management: Hire a consultant to review all of you processes , &… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Halloween City.

Worked for Halloween City? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Halloween City reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Halloween City CEO Gerald C. (Gerry) Rittenberg. All reviews posted anonymously by Halloween City employees.