There are newer employer reviews for Halloween City

If your not lazy, you'll have fun

Current Employee - Fitting Rooms/Floor Associate (V Seasons) in Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Fitting Rooms/Floor Associate (V Seasons) in Cleveland, OH

Pros

It's fun to see all the costumes and hear customers Halloween plans. I've met some great people that are fun to work with, and my managers gave me the training to know i'm doing a good job. Positive feedback comes often enough I don't second-guess myself, and my managers are very easy to talk to and understanding when I need time off. At the same time, they are strict when they need to be and know how to get things done. They truly deserve more credit for the stress, and hours, they put up with.

Cons

District managers wasting our time. We lost many hours during set up this past year because our DM, new this year, kept switching things around and treating people who have worked here 3+ years like idiots. How about you listen to the people who have set up the store several times over before getting an attitude and assuming you must be right because your the DM? Also, some employees are extremely lazy. I know thats not completely the companies fault, but the screening process could be a bit tighter - blatantly texting on the store floor, hitting on customers, sitting at the fitting room table....highly frustrating to see. Also, the orange vests. We had black/orange aprons at some point, and the pockets were extremely useful! I think aprons would make employees look more professional, and get in the way less (I'm a size 3, and all but two of the vests we were sent were XL or above. Looks ridiculous).

Advice to Management

Screen your employees a bit more. We get tons of applications and I know you don't have time to interview everyone, but a good judgement of character would keep people from not showing up or quitting. Last year, I think 5 people either quit or got fired - and several more people deserved to be. Thats hours of training and paperwork wasted. I think it needs to be made clear in the interview that this job does get extremely hectic, and someone who thinks they can just walk the aisles and not pick up things is a waste of the companies time and money. The training videos, while hilarious, should have more valuable information for late-season new hires. The main scene that irks me is concerning the selling of accessories. What to suggest for a maid costume? Fishnets and heels! A nurse costume? Fishnets and heels! Lets be creative, guys! Late-season new hires are being baptized by fire, give them a little more to go on!

Other Employee Reviews for Halloween City

1. Frustrated with lack of structure & forethought.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

Pros

Employees discount on merchandise after 7 days of employment. Beyond that I would say the opportunity to work with a fun holiday.

Cons

The company focus on the bottom line seems to create unachievable goals & employee frustration. The lack of structure & forethought creates crews that are untrained & setup to fail.

Advice to Management

Hire a consultant to review all of you processes , & procedures, & training, & purchasing to figure out a functional plan.

2. Avoid this place...at all cost

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Manville, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Manville, NJ

Pros

Halloween is a great holiday...so working for Halloween City will at least give you the impression of a fun job...(see cons)

Cons

...However my experience was one with filled with working too hard for not enough pay. The store sets up in a few months, so (without me getting personal) how organized do you think they could really be?

Advice to Management

Do Not take your employees for granted. If you do, you will be losing some quality people over a job that does not last that long to begin with.