Halloween City

There are newer employer reviews for Halloween City

Thought out system

Former Employee - General Manager in Tacoma, WA
Former Employee - General Manager in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Halloween City full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun industry, well laid out plan to follow, fair pay, good employee discounts, very competitive pricing on products that make selling fairly easy, excellent spread of products. HC has been doing this long enough that most problems, difficulties or troublesome areas are addressed in the manual.
If you hire good managers and staff, you don't have to spend a ton of time running the store. We had an excellent DM that was very responsive to problems and questions. He also hired a marketing person that made all the difference in the success of our location.

Cons

Some products are not up to par with the average ... they are pretty poor quality and beak easily. We had a bunch of loss/markdowns due to breakage.
Allotted employee hours are fairly low and led to short staffing ... which leads to missed sales and increased shrinkage. Plus, no hours are allotted for training leading to unsure staff and managers having to spend a lot of time monitoring and "adjusting" sales presentation.
GM doesn't get the manual until after the equipment/inventory gets delivered and there isn't any time to study it to make sure you are doing things according to company standards.
In the short time that the store is open, several staff really took to sales training and became stars. However, at the end of the season, they are all gone.
Mediocre GM training for first timers taught by mediocre, unenthusiastic staff. Experienced GMs were really the only ones that understood what they were flying through.
Antiquated electronics that work when they want.
This is a salaried position and while only expected to spend 40-50 hours, it isn't unusual for someone that cares about results to spend 60-70 hours.

Make GM training more "first timer" friendly and provide the manuals on the day that they are hired.
Allow a full day before opening for full staff training on products, procedures and the sales process.
Provide additional/better repair tools ... sewing kit for costumes, replacement stretch cord for masks, better screw drivers, better tape gun.

55 Other Employee Reviews for Halloween City (View Most Recent)

If you love the Halloween season this is for you.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Buford, GA

I worked at Halloween City full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lot of fun, flexible hours, easiest job to pick up on I swear.
    First few days were slow but that was fine because it gave me time to figure out the store's floor and by the time it got really crazy I was practically an expert.

Cons

Minimum wage, people would get hired and than figure out this job wasn't for them and just quit with no warning.
    It was hard keeping the store clean because customer's would just drop everything on the floor.
    Our store also had computer problems, a lot of computer problems.

I really think you need to keep the store open even after Halloween.
    You have a fully staffed store, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years AND Valentines day all within a month of each other.
    Why not put that space and man power to better use than just two months out of the year?

wonderful

Former Employee - Associate in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Chico, CA

I worked at Halloween City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work environment, little stress, i had wonderful managers and co-workers. Very flexible inscheduling

Cons

The time is seasonal and not for an extended period of time.

Please hire wonderful managers like mine, it makes working so much more wonderful and as a result boosts sales

There are newer employer reviews for Halloween City