Halloween City
www.halloweencity.com Overland Park, KS 5000+ Employees

Thought out system

General Manager (Former Employee)
Tacoma, WA

ProsFun industry, well laid out plan to follow, fair pay, good employee discounts, very competitive pricing on products that make selling fairly easy, excellent spread of products. HC has been doing this long enough that most problems, difficulties or troublesome areas are addressed in the manual.
If you hire good managers and staff, you don't have to spend a ton of time running the store. We had an excellent DM that was very responsive to problems and questions. He also hired a marketing person that made all the difference in the success of our location.

ConsSome products are not up to par with the average ... they are pretty poor quality and beak easily. We had a bunch of loss/markdowns due to breakage.
Allotted employee hours are fairly low and led to short staffing ... which leads to missed sales and increased shrinkage. Plus, no hours are allotted for training leading to unsure staff and managers having to spend a lot of time monitoring and "adjusting" sales presentation.
GM doesn't get the manual until after the equipment/inventory gets delivered and there isn't any time to study it to make sure you are doing things according to company standards.
In the short time that the store is open, several staff really took to sales training and became stars. However, at the end of the season, they are all gone.
Mediocre GM training for first timers taught by mediocre, unenthusiastic staff. Experienced GMs were really the only ones that understood what they were flying through.
Antiquated electronics that work when they want.
This is a salaried position and while only expected to spend 40-50 hours, it isn't unusual for someone that cares about results to spend 60-70 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake GM training more "first timer" friendly and provide the manuals on the day that they are hired.
Allow a full day before opening for full staff training on products, procedures and the sales process.
Provide additional/better repair tools ... sewing kit for costumes, replacement stretch cord for masks, better screw drivers, better tape gun.

If you love the Halloween season this is for you.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
    Buford, GA

I worked at Halloween City full-time for less than a year

Pros: Lot of fun, flexible hours, easiest job to pick up on I swear. First few days were slow but that was fine because… Cons: Minimum wage, people would get hired and than figure out this job wasn't for them and just quit with no warning. It was hard… Advice to Senior Management: I really think you need to keep the store open even after Halloween. You have a fully staffed store, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years AND Valentines day… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

wonderful

Associate (Former Employee)
    Chico, CA

I worked at Halloween City part-time for less than a year

Pros: Good work environment, little stress, i had wonderful managers and… Cons: The time is seasonal and not for an extended period… Advice to Senior Management: Please hire wonderful managers like mine, it makes working so… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Halloween City.

Worked for Halloween City? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Halloween City reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Halloween City CEO Gerald C. (Gerry) Rittenberg. All reviews posted anonymously by Halloween City employees.