Halogen Software

www.halogensoftware.com
  www.halogensoftware.com
There are newer employer reviews for Halogen Software

Great fit for me

Current Employee - Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Halogen Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at my fair-share of failed telecom giants and wannabe "Silicon Valley North" startups in Ottawa and this company is not one of them. The company has a clear plan about where it wants to go and how it intends to get there. They know what they want to achieve with their product and are continually honing it.

With respect to work environment, I can't speak for everyone at the company or about what the company was like before I started working there, but there is an honest effort to hire not only for talent but for fit within a given team. If you know how to work with people and how to communicate effectively and speak your mind to the right people, your voice will be heard.

Concerning salary, I know that I am being paid fair-market value for my position -- let's be real, this is Ottawa, not Sunnyvale, California so I won't be making $175k and renting a $3k/month studio apartment -- but I am being paid what someone of my experience level should be making in Ottawa. To anyone looking to apply to any job, not only at Halogen but anywhere, I say this: know what someone with your skillset is worth, know what companies in your area are paying for someone with your skills and know how to negotiate... if you know these things, you won't be complaining about being nickel and dimed by anybody.

Cons

So much work, so little time... but then again any tech company that is moving, evolving and growing will have this problem... the company knows this and is growing accordingly.

Continue to keep the workforce motivated and happy and continue to hire based on EQ as well as IQ... nobody wants to be in a band filled with "rockstars" who can't play well together.

Mar 5, 2014Talent Attraction Manager

Thanks for your feedback, we really appreciate it!

38 Other Employee Reviews for Halogen Software (View Most Recent)

OK but don't expect to grow here

I worked at Halogen Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Sales Director who understands business and how to manage people

Cons

Apart from the above, the Executive have no clue on how to manage a business of this size as they we all involved in the beginning and have no experience outside of Halogen. They claim to be a global company but are focused on Ottawa. The moment you try and leave you are screwed and they try and get out of paying your entitlements. If you are not in the CEO's click you will not get anywhere.

The Salary is very poor and nothing happens unless the CEO or CFO get involved. They are still trying to run it like a small 30 person company.

Trust your people and don't micro manage. Reward good people. When the CEO is checking on activities in the CRM there is a real problem. The executive need to let people do there job without breathing down their neck. If you preach a culture it is best to try and deliver it.

Mar 19, 2014Talent Attraction Manager

We appreciate your feedback but to be clear, a number of the statements you have made are inaccurate. We are proud of our leadership team and the value they bring to our organization both from ... More

Good employer and great people, but a little conservative

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Halogen Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good culture and great people to work with. They invest time and money in their employees and seem to want to develop them.

Cons

Very conservative and deliberate culture. Very risk averse and mired in old ways in some places. Difficulty changing

Be less risk averse

Feb 2, 2014Talent Attraction Manager

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it.

There are newer employer reviews for Halogen Software