Great fit for me

Current Employee - Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Halogen Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at my fair-share of failed telecom giants and wannabe "Silicon Valley North" startups in Ottawa and this company is not one of them. The company has a clear plan about where it wants to go and how it intends to get there. They know what they want to achieve with their product and are continually honing it.

With respect to work environment, I can't speak for everyone at the company or about what the company was like before I started working there, but there is an honest effort to hire not only for talent but for fit within a given team. If you know how to work with people and how to communicate effectively and speak your mind to the right people, your voice will be heard.

Concerning salary, I know that I am being paid fair-market value for my position -- let's be real, this is Ottawa, not Sunnyvale, California so I won't be making $175k and renting a $3k/month studio apartment -- but I am being paid what someone of my experience level should be making in Ottawa. To anyone looking to apply to any job, not only at Halogen but anywhere, I say this: know what someone with your skillset is worth, know what companies in your area are paying for someone with your skills and know how to negotiate... if you know these things, you won't be complaining about being nickel and dimed by anybody.

Cons

So much work, so little time... but then again any tech company that is moving, evolving and growing will have this problem... the company knows this and is growing accordingly.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the workforce motivated and happy and continue to hire based on EQ as well as IQ... nobody wants to be in a band filled with "rockstars" who can't play well together.

Mar 5, 2014Talent Attraction Manager

Thanks for your feedback, we really appreciate it!

reviews filtered by
  1. Good employer and great people, but a little conservative

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Halogen Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture and great people to work with. They invest time and money in their employees and seem to want to develop them.

Cons

Very conservative and deliberate culture. Very risk averse and mired in old ways in some places. Difficulty changing

Advice to Management

Be less risk averse

Feb 2, 2014Talent Attraction Manager

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it.

Great executive, but confusing corporate culture

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer

I worked at Halogen Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has great executive with vision and strategies.

Cons

trouble culture and process. The first and second line managers are trouble and incompetitive.

Jan 17, 2014Talent Attraction Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We have worked very hard to build and live an intentional corporate culture at Halogen and I'm sorry that you did not experience the same day to day that I have.