Hamilton Sundstrand

www.hamiltonsundstrandcorp.com
  www.hamiltonsundstrandcorp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hamilton Sundstrand

Worst Company I ever worked for.

Former Employee - Certified Specialist in Rockford, IL
Former Employee - Certified Specialist in Rockford, IL

I worked at Hamilton Sundstrand

Pros

Made a good hourly wage, co-workers were great.
Best manufacturing facility in IL.

Cons

Management lied to employees, experianced being lock out as a union employee.
Sundstrand was great until purchased by United Tech, they they rode us hard and put it to us dry!

Just be honest and real, as you now know Americans are in this together.

135 Other Employee Reviews for Hamilton Sundstrand (View Most Recent)

it's a job

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Windsor Locks, CT
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Windsor Locks, CT

I have been working at Hamilton Sundstrand

Pros

Pays well, great co-workers, I can finally see sunlight

Cons

Very little vacation time even after 5 years

So many levels of management it is ridiculous.

Former Employee - Engineer in Windsor Locks, CT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Windsor Locks, CT

I worked at Hamilton Sundstrand

Pros

The work is exciting and highly technical.
    Fellow employees are top notch.
    The pay is comparable to other aerospace companies.
    Number of hours required to work each week is not too bad in the space business, 40-50.

Cons

Depending on whether you go through the engineering side or the operations side there are 9 or 11 levels of management just in the space systems department. Then there are multiple levels above all of them over in the commercial aerospace side of HS. This means that you are that much more removed from anyone that actually has authority to make a decision regarding your career or the resources at the company.
    The performance feedback system does not work. It has no impact on your compensation or timing for promotions. There was a system to force a certain number of low ratings even if people did not warrant it.
    The average age is quite high, about 50. Which is why there are so many middle layers of management. Made the work environment not very pleasant as many people were unhappy but were not able to leave.

The insane focus on the cleanliness of office and lab areas offers plenty of pitfalls for getting noticed in a bad way, but there is no opportunity to get noticed in a good way.
    I'm not kidding when I say insane. Management would walk around and search your desk drawers to make sure everything was in order and the drawer was labelled with the right label. Pictures were taken of the desk while clean and then had to be hung at your desk. It made for this paranoid gestapo environment where having a clean desk was actually more important than doing good engineering work. You basically never wanted to stand out or be noticed, because that was always negative and never a positive thing. It really made it feel like kindergarten.

The IT situation is very bad. I had my laptop go down twice for extended periods. Both times it took over a month to fix. I was never given a replacement. I had to run around using other computers to keep up with work.

Find a way to better engage technical engineers that do not want to be managers. You should reduce the number of management levels. There needs to be a clear advancement path for people to shoot for and it should be linked to the performance feedback. When people feel in control of their career, they are empowered and their work is far superior to when they feel advancement is completely random.

Eliminate horribly inefficient bureaucracy that adds nothing and just wastes time and money.

Treat people like adults and they will surprise you. Don't treat them like convicts or toddlers. Seriously, grade school children are treated with more respect than the employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Hamilton Sundstrand