Hamilton Sundstrand

www.hamiltonsundstrandcorp.com
  www.hamiltonsundstrandcorp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hamilton Sundstrand

Outsourcing is the key to large profits. "Greed is good" right?

Current Employee - Test Cell Technician  in  San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Test Cell Technician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Hamilton Sundstrand full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Talented pool of dedicated employees. Reasonable pay and educational benefits.

Cons

I have been employed at Hamilton Sundstrand for 11 years and have watched the company de-evolve since UTC took over. UTC is great at talking the talk but not walking the walk. They continually over commit and under deliver to their customers. UTC thinks ACE (their business system back engineered from Toyota) has all the answers. It is more of a farce than viable system.

Management will do almost anything to win a new program even if it means creating a no win situation when it comes to manufacturing costs. A perfect example is the debacle of the APS 5000 APU for the Boeing 787. Most estimates would put R&D at around $100 million thus far and we sell them for roughly 1/3 of what it costs to manufacture them. The result is that UTC has decided to source our work to Poland in an effort to save money. This is an easy fix for a poorly run company and probably won't work but looks good on paper.

In our meetings COPQ (cost of poor quality) is often referred to yet they continue to source critical parts to third world countries only to end up with reliability problems and high warranty costs. UTC also focuses heavily on ROS (return on sales) a metric which shows % profit on product sales. We are continually told that our ROS is too low and should be in the neighborhood of 15%. What they fail to realize is that ROS has steadily declined since their take over of Hamilton Sundstrand.

What has taken place at Hamilton Sundstrand should serve as a cautionary tale for the employees of Goodrich. UTC has no interest in manufacturing in this country and in a perfect world would produce nothing and collect profit while not paying taxes. Outsourcing is heading your way too.

Take time to listen to your employees. Find value in their feedback and concerns, utilize their expertise. Hire and promote talented individuals rather than "yes" men and ACE gurus. Do a RRCA (relentless root cause analysis) of ACE to determine if it really value added or just window dressing. Produce a business plan that focuses on IN sourcing not OUT sourcing and maybe you'll become the world class company you claim to be.

133 Other Employee Reviews for Hamilton Sundstrand (View Most Recent)

Great company making good engineering products, but running really lean

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Hamilton Sundstrand

Pros

Very good discipline - consistently meets financial goals
    Good benefits under United Technologies Corp
    Very cool products
    If you work hard, you can go somewhere in the company – opportunities are available

Cons

High workload due to the lean staff – if you want to grow and take on management positions, you will need to work even harder. Work life balance would be difficult.
    A lot of reporting – similar to other Fortune 100 companies I assume

Changes are good, but need to better communicate to the employees. Need more investment in the technologies while trying to meet the quarterly results. Must have a system that rewards good performance other than just a fix salary.

Enjoyable and nice work place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Windsor Locks, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor Locks, CT

I worked at Hamilton Sundstrand

Pros

Good Management and great coworkers

Cons

Too much bureaucracy bogs down efficiency

Too much bureaucracy

There are newer employer reviews for Hamilton Sundstrand

Worked for Hamilton Sundstrand? Contribute to the Community!