Hamilton Sundstrand

www.hamiltonsundstrandcorp.com

Outsourcing is the key to large profits. "Greed is good" right?

Test Cell Technician (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsTalented pool of dedicated employees. Reasonable pay and educational benefits.

ConsI have been employed at Hamilton Sundstrand for 11 years and have watched the company de-evolve since UTC took over. UTC is great at talking the talk but not walking the walk. They continually over commit and under deliver to their customers. UTC thinks ACE (their business system back engineered from Toyota) has all the answers. It is more of a farce than viable system.

Management will do almost anything to win a new program even if it means creating a no win situation when it comes to manufacturing costs. A perfect example is the debacle of the APS 5000 APU for the Boeing 787. Most estimates would put R&D at around $100 million thus far and we sell them for roughly 1/3 of what it costs to manufacture them. The result is that UTC has decided to source our work to Poland in an effort to save money. This is an easy fix for a poorly run company and probably won't work but looks good on paper.

In our meetings COPQ (cost of poor quality) is often referred to yet they continue to source critical parts to third world countries only to end up with reliability problems and high warranty costs. UTC also focuses heavily on ROS (return on sales) a metric which shows % profit on product sales. We are continually told that our ROS is too low and should be in the neighborhood of 15%. What they fail to realize is that ROS has steadily declined since their take over of Hamilton Sundstrand.

What has taken place at Hamilton Sundstrand should serve as a cautionary tale for the employees of Goodrich. UTC has no interest in manufacturing in this country and in a perfect world would produce nothing and collect profit while not paying taxes. Outsourcing is heading your way too.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to listen to your employees. Find value in their feedback and concerns, utilize their expertise. Hire and promote talented individuals rather than "yes" men and ACE gurus. Do a RRCA (relentless root cause analysis) of ACE to determine if it really value added or just window dressing. Produce a business plan that focuses on IN sourcing not OUT sourcing and maybe you'll become the world class company you claim to be.

Great company making good engineering products, but running really lean

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

I have been working at Hamilton Sundstrand

Pros: Very good discipline - consistently meets financial goals Good benefits under United Technologies Corp Very cool… Cons: High workload due to the lean staff – if you want to grow and take on management positions, you will need to… Advice to Senior Management: Changes are good, but need to better communicate to the employees. Need more investment in the technologies while trying… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Enjoyable and nice work place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Windsor Locks, CT

I worked at Hamilton Sundstrand

Pros: Good Management and great coworkers Cons: Too much bureaucracy bogs down efficiency Advice to Senior Management: Too much bureaucracy Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Hamilton Sundstrand.

Worked for Hamilton Sundstrand? Contribute to the Community!