There are newer employer reviews for Hamline University

I really enjoyed my work-study position at Hamline; it gave me great working experience.

Former Intern - Hamline Work Study in Saint Paul, MN
Former Intern - Hamline Work Study in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Hamline University as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Hamline is a very diverse campus that offers a great learning experience. Having a work-study job on campus was a rewarding experience, and I made plenty of valuable connections.

Cons

Sometimes I didn't know what was expected of me in terms of what I should be doing at any given moment.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Private College in Minnesota

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Hamline University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hardworking group of dedicated employees with sincere interest in students education and college experience. Your opinion matters and there are many opportunities for university wide involvement.

Cons

There are limited avenues for career advancement. Private colleges have suffered in recent years with the downturn of the economy and money is always tight.

Wild, Wild West

I have been working at Hamline University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you can last for a year and a half, you can take four credits per semester tuition free, but that is likely to change in the future. You used to be able to take credits for free from day one. If the course is during the work day, good luck getting your supervisor to give you permission to attend. Each department has a lot of autonomy, so you don't really need to worry as much about spending money on coffee and your department can run things contrary to the rest of the university, if it pleases. You will also be punished (or not punished) departmentally for infractions.

Cons

Undergraduate admissions is a *hit show. If your position interacts with undergraduate admissions, set your goals low to ensure you won't be very disappointed when even those basic expectations aren't met. Human resources is a *hit show. Good luck trying to find written policy about many of the things that are important to you. Some things are there and some things aren't written down. Since departments are so autonomous, less work gets done across the university and you have to battle with getting things done across departmental lines. Be wary of undocumented "certificate courses" from School of Education, which went undocumented by this university's registrar.

Advice to Management

Ensure that you are ready to handle all of the in-fighting and territorial-ism. Don't skimp on hiring experts rather than recent graduates.