There are newer employer reviews for Hampton Inn

Not a bad job for a college student, but definitely not a good career choice for a competent individual.

Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Coralville, IA
Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Coralville, IA

I have been working at Hampton Inn

Pros

The pay is fairly good in comparison to other entry-level service industry jobs, and the pay raise that accompanied the promotion to supervisor far outweighed the additional workload. Scheduling is fairly flexible as well, depending on the current staffing levels.

Cons

The main issue is the lack of effectiveness of all levels of management, from the property level on up. The local managers typically have their hands tied by the management of the independent operating company and the brand. Upper-level management tends to hire people who are willing to be told what to do as local managers, so the property-level management ends up being a group of pushovers who are very poor managers.

Advice to Management

You cannot expect to keep your thumb on everything that happens by hiring a bunch of worthless individuals to work under you and run a successful business at the same time. Incompetent managers and employees don't mix well with truly good companies. Your best option is to let go of your authoritarian approach to management. You might be surprised at the success you'll have.

reviews filtered by
  1. Operations Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY

I worked at Hampton Inn

Pros

The heavy reporting helps me currently. It has allowed me to take the tools that I learned on to the next employer.

Cons

The management company micro-manages more than should be allowed for someone to develop professionally. It limited the opportunites outside of their company, because with micro-managing, a manager is not allowed to flourish. I was lucky to find someone that would give me the opportunity to get over the micro-managing and allow my professional and personal growth

Advice to Management

nothing, it's too late.

2. A Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, NC

I worked at Hampton Inn

Pros

Competitive pay
    Great Work environment
    The Senior Management team cares about the employees and seeks to counsel them towards advancing their career.
    Opportunities to meet many different people

Cons

There really weren't many downsides, it is a retail type position so the customers can occasionally be rude or hard to deal with

Advice to Management

The management team does a great job, cares about the property, cares about the guests, cares about the employees. Keep up the good work!

There are newer employer reviews for Hampton Inn