Hampton Inn

Senior Mgmnt needs trained

Former Employee - Sal; Es Marketing in Deadwood, SD
Former Employee - Sal; Es Marketing in Deadwood, SD

I worked at Hampton Inn

Pros

benefits of brand, in-house benefits for management, easy hotel to sell

Cons

poor communication with upper mgmnt, no training, no job performance reviews, no raises, excepted to work average of 50-60 hours weekly, including other departments

need job descriptions, allow for family time, communicate with employees through departmental meetings. Give employees incentives, bonuses. give performance reviews with raises based on performance (not just a review year after year).

198 Other Employee Reviews for Hampton Inn (View Most Recent)

Operations Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY

I worked at Hampton Inn

Pros

The heavy reporting helps me currently. It has allowed me to take the tools that I learned on to the next employer.

Cons

The management company micro-manages more than should be allowed for someone to develop professionally. It limited the opportunites outside of their company, because with micro-managing, a manager is not allowed to flourish. I was lucky to find someone that would give me the opportunity to get over the micro-managing and allow my professional and personal growth

nothing, it's too late.

Not a bad job for a college student, but definitely not a good career choice for a competent individual.

Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Coralville, IA

I have been working at Hampton Inn

Pros

The pay is fairly good in comparison to other entry-level service industry jobs, and the pay raise that accompanied the promotion to supervisor far outweighed the additional workload. Scheduling is fairly flexible as well, depending on the current staffing levels.

Cons

The main issue is the lack of effectiveness of all levels of management, from the property level on up. The local managers typically have their hands tied by the management of the independent operating company and the brand. Upper-level management tends to hire people who are willing to be told what to do as local managers, so the property-level management ends up being a group of pushovers who are very poor managers.

You cannot expect to keep your thumb on everything that happens by hiring a bunch of worthless individuals to work under you and run a successful business at the same time. Incompetent managers and employees don't mix well with truly good companies. Your best option is to let go of your authoritarian approach to management. You might be surprised at the success you'll have.

There are newer employer reviews for Hampton Inn