There are newer employer reviews for Hampton Roads Transit

Recent medical problem has caused HRT to terminate employment

Current Employee - Bus Operator  in  Hampton, VA
Current Employee - Bus Operator in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Hampton Roads Transit full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Driving is ok, talking with passengers

Cons

Before I knew what my problem was (enlarged prostate) I was terminated because of emergency urinating outdoors in private location, or so I thought. I was on camera. Got documentation from doctor, but not good enough.

Management appears afraid to think outside the box.

5 Other Employee Reviews for Hampton Roads Transit (View Most Recent)

Career killer.

I have been working at Hampton Roads Transit full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You can ride the bus for free. The benefits package for the administrative personnel is equivalent to the city benefits.

Cons

(This is for non-union staff) You will likely never advance here. You may not even get the job you interview for, and quite often, the interviewers will lead you to believe you will be accepting a job further down your career path, until you get hired and discover you are a glorified data entry person. Or secretary. Unless you are upper management, you will likely not get a raise - or at least not anytime soon. There is very little career development in any department. You can be moved anywhere in the organization on a supervisors whim, and you have no recourse. You can be disciplined for lack of training or knowledge in a position you were forced into, and have no recourse. For many staff, unless the person above leaves or dies, you will never advance. The salaries are some of the lowest in the market. There are a couple positions here that have about a 6 month turnover rate - HRT pays almost 10,000 under market value for someone with any experience in that position.

Career development would be nice, especially when the salaries for those not in upper management aren't going to grow. Truth in advertising - it sucks to be interviewed for a position, told you will have certain duties, then show up and realize that the work your subordinates did at your last employers is now what you will be doing. No one likes going backwards, especially due to a gross misrepresentation and at a lesser salary too.

Not a job for everyone

I have been working at Hampton Roads Transit

Pros

Decent pay for a TEMPORARY job

Cons

Everything!!! Toxic work place created by a handful of supervisors that are unhappy with their job.

There are newer employer reviews for Hampton Roads Transit

Worked for Hampton Roads Transit? Contribute to the Community!