Hancock Fabrics

www.hancockfabrics.com
  www.hancockfabrics.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hancock Fabrics

Think twice if you really need a job to join this company.

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good people working at company. Long time employees. Knows how to sew . They are going threw and cleaning up the stores.

Cons

Long time employees, do not want to change and open to new ideals.
Work long hours for small management pay.

Your pay is not a match of what you expect.

72 Other Employee Reviews for Hancock Fabrics (View Most Recent)

The new administration is very unintelligent & self focused.

I worked at Hancock Fabrics

Pros

At least you would have a job.

Cons

No rationality and it's all fear based decision making.

Quit, and get professional help.

UGH

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics

Pros

I love most of my co-workers. They're fun, energetic, and, above all, we ALL understand what it's like to work here (comrades in arms). My manager is nice and works hard to make sure that we are all treated the same way and that we're as up-to-date on information as he is.

Cons

Where as there are a number of outstanding customers, there are more bad than good. We try our best to help, but a lot of the time we have serious language barriers with our customers (where we are, anyway) and it's hard to communicate. Instead of staying calm, or calling family members who can speak English better (as I've had a few wonderfully understanding customers do), I've had customers throw things at me, scream at me, treat me like garbage, and have even had a man treat me like a dog, whistling for me to follow him around the store. I'm not allowed to comment or stand up for myself, because if I do, then the customer will complain, which would get me a write-up.We're expected to put these customers poor attitudes and poor manners over the happiness of everyone else. Our employees have the right to come to work to a safe and friendly environment, as much as the customers have a right to come to a safe and friendly environment to shop in. I'm not talking about barring the place against anyone who has a bad day, but if we have a customer who continually comes in and makes everyone feel...well, like crap, then I don't believe s/he should have the privilege to shop there. We're asked to follow procedure, but when all of these awful customers come in and threaten to complain, we're ordered to do as the customer wants, even if it's against procedure. After that, we then get in trouble for not following procedure, even though we're told to do so to help a customer. And, because the customer knows s/he can get away with it, they continue to come back and repeat their actions, and we continue to get in trouble for not following procedure.
    I've had to work 12 hour shifts a number of times because of poor scheduling (due to hour cuts) and I've had more co-workers come and go it's ridiculous. I've been down to 4 sales associates, the manager and myself before, and we've stayed that way for weeks, working 6-day weeks to get the coverage we need while we try and hire people who can at least stand there and cut, let alone actually perform the job. They expect us to be able to get out our delivery in less than 48 hours (when deliveries can range anywhere from 50 boxes to 200 boxes a week), and we're expected to do this with 2 people on shift at a time during the day. I can't count the hours I've given to the company from staying after I clock out and the store is closed to get shipments out.
    We're told to arrange our store as seems fit for our customer demographics/what they're interested in. We do so, and our district manager/corporate visitors come in and completely re-arrange it, and our sales go down.
    The raises are non-existent for employees. My first manager didn't do me justice when she promoted me to a supervisor, and all of the supervisors before and after me made at least $0.50 more than I did, but more often $1.00 more. My second manager tried to get this fixed, but the company told her that there was nothing they could do, I had to wait for merit raises (once a year), and get 10-25 cents raise while everyone was getting a similar raise, keeping the same pay difference. The only way to get time off is to request it 3 months in advance, and even then, you're not guaranteed to get it. They cut the vacation pay from the normal sales staff. It's also ridiculous to have us closed on Easter because it's a "holiday" and not have us get paid for it, and have us work on Independence Day even though it is a holiday and not have us get paid for it as a holiday? It doesn't make sense to not observe a national hoiday and observe a religious holiday when not everyone is Christian. For the record, even though I celebrate it, I feel the same way about Christmas.
    We're not trained AT ALL when we're first hired. I was a novice at sewing when I first applied, and everything I know now, I've learned on the job from co-workers and customers who have taken pity on me. I didn't even know the difference between polyester, cotton, or nylon thread. Didn't even know they MADE different kinds of thread. We should have time to train our employees properly, not just give them a quick run of the store and have to tell them "don't worry about memorizing it yet, though, because we have to re-arrange everything next week for a visit/change of season/inventory/etc." I've been with the company 3 years, and I've never had a safety training session. I wasn't even told where the fire extinguishers were the first 2 years. They were all in the stockroom until my second manager found them and put them out where they're supposed to be. We should be allowed to wear outfits we've made. I had a co-worker who always made her own uniforms, and it made people want to make them. If customers- beginners especially - can't see what can be done by people who are at around the same level that they are at, then they won't be encouraged to try bigger projects.

If you give us a procedure, let us follow it. Don't let us make "exceptions just this once" for a customer, because we'll have to continue to make those exceptions for customers, often the same customers who received those exceptions the first time. If the customer gets upset, fine. Take a few hits in the beginning, but ultimately, they'll respect that we have a strict business practice and will accept it. Our friendly environment and helpful staff will keep them coming back, even if we didn't charge their return to a different receipt because their husband bought it and won't come in to the store to charge it back to his card.

Treat your employees fairly. If one branch gets vacation, everyone should. We all work hard - the management staff wouldn't be able to do their jobs properly if they didn't have competent sale associates. They should get the same benefits the management staff does.

Let us run our stores. We know our customers, we know what they want to see.

Get better buyers. Some of the fabrics have been nice - especially in the decorator department - but I get more and more customers not finding what they want because the quality and range of prints has gone down.

Either stop with the contests or have employees pick out the contest items. Items that we already carry that will sell well, and that don't have to be bought specifically for the contest.

Give the stores more hours. You get more complaints about understaffed stores than anything else.

There are newer employer reviews for Hancock Fabrics