There are newer employer reviews for Hancock Fabrics

Awful corporate culture

Current Employee - Supervisor in Topeka, IL
Current Employee - Supervisor in Topeka, IL

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great. Customers are mostly a joy. Fabrics & products, and hearing about other people's projects are inspiring.

Cons

There are so many, I don't know where to start. But I'll give it a shot.
1. Never enough staff
2. Efforts are unappreciated by anyone above store manager
3. Management seems focused on unimportant aspects, like how many "item of the month" sales are made or how many people use preferred customer cards.
4. No written protocols on things like coupons, returns, check guidelines. I've been told things like "you can always refuse to take a check if you think the person looks suspicious". Are you kidding me!!?? Are you guys looking for a lawsuit?
5. Employees are expected to keep store clean (in addition to cutting fabric, running register, stocking shelves, unpacking freight, pushing stupid "contest items" and keeping customers happy). And by this I mean, sweeping, mopping, dusting, washing windows, and cleaning bathrooms.
6. Store is cluttered with junky furniture, lamps which get knocked over and broken by customers and staff, stupid knick-knack stuff, which doesn't usually sell until it's drastically reduced.

Give the store manages some autonomy. We almost always need more staff. We almost always need less of some items and more of others. The managers know what sells, and what doesn't. Let them be responsible for arranging the stores and to some extent, the displays.
Get rid of the stupid "item of the month" sales promotions.
Get rid of the even stupider designer deals club. No one with a brain is going to sign up for this deal. The person who came up with this idea should be fired.
Get some written protocols. As an employee, I need to know if I can accept 1 coupon, or one of ours & one of someone else's or unlimited....What I get now is hearsay from different employees. I tend to try something and if the register allows it, I go ahead and do it.
Which brings me to my next point. Make sure your sales prices in the computer are current. It's frustrating and time consuming for everyone involved to have the wrong price come up at the register when the item is clearly listed in the ad and marked with signs.
Come into the 21st century when it comes to dealing with checks. How many huge checks are going to have to bounce before you start using a system that deducts the funds directly from the accounts? Or if you're too cheap to do that, how 'bout a policy that says no checks over $200 or something? Or better yet, no checks at all.
Put in more cutting tables. There are times when customers are waiting in line for 1/2 hour or more. Even if we could have additional staff, there's no place for them to cut.
Talk to your employees and listen to what they have to say. They know the customers and they may have some good ideas. Explain why you're doing what you're doing. For the most part, your employees are good people who want to do a good job, you're just not giving them the means to do that.

reviews filtered by
  1. It was all good just a week ago.....

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Decatur, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Decatur, GA

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with customers
    Discounts
    Learning fabric content
    Learning multiple ways to do one thing

Cons

Crazy hours worked
    Keeping the store clean is the hardest

Upper management needs to get off their high horses and come to the store for a day!

2. Horrible Company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only reason that I worked for Hancock for as long as I did was because I had a wonderful manager and asst. manager.

Cons

I worked at Hancock Fabric’s for 4 years, as a sales assistant. I felt completely unappreciated by the company. When I first started there was a 15% off employee discount, corporate ended that discount. The only time that I received a raise was when the minimum wage was raised. In order to not pay benefits only the store manager and the Asst. store manager as allowed working more than 20 hours a week. Corporate never allotted enough hours for the store to be adequately staffed. Corporate expects employees to work extremely hard, provide excellent customer service, even throw the stores are extremely understaffed and underpaid. The store that I worked in was very old and out dated. The store had 7 air conditioner units and only 2 worked. This made the store very uncomfortable but corporate didn’t seem to care.

LEARN to APPRECIATE YOUR EMPLYEES, if you take care of your employees they will take care of you.
    1. Pay more, raises
    2. Holiday pay for all employees.
    3. Adequately staff stores