Hancock Fabrics

www.hancockfabrics.com

Awful corporate culture

Supervisor (Current Employee) Topeka, IL

ProsCo-workers are great. Customers are mostly a joy. Fabrics & products, and hearing about other people's projects are inspiring.

ConsThere are so many, I don't know where to start. But I'll give it a shot.
1. Never enough staff
2. Efforts are unappreciated by anyone above store manager
3. Management seems focused on unimportant aspects, like how many "item of the month" sales are made or how many people use preferred customer cards.
4. No written protocols on things like coupons, returns, check guidelines. I've been told things like "you can always refuse to take a check if you think the person looks suspicious". Are you kidding me!!?? Are you guys looking for a lawsuit?
5. Employees are expected to keep store clean (in addition to cutting fabric, running register, stocking shelves, unpacking freight, pushing stupid "contest items" and keeping customers happy). And by this I mean, sweeping, mopping, dusting, washing windows, and cleaning bathrooms.
6. Store is cluttered with junky furniture, lamps which get knocked over and broken by customers and staff, stupid knick-knack stuff, which doesn't usually sell until it's drastically reduced.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the store manages some autonomy. We almost always need more staff. We almost always need less of some items and more of others. The managers know what sells, and what doesn't. Let them be responsible for arranging the stores and to some extent, the displays.
Get rid of the stupid "item of the month" sales promotions.
Get rid of the even stupider designer deals club. No one with a brain is going to sign up for this deal. The person who came up with this idea should be fired.
Get some written protocols. As an employee, I need to know if I can accept 1 coupon, or one of ours & one of someone else's or unlimited....What I get now is hearsay from different employees. I tend to try something and if the register allows it, I go ahead and do it.
Which brings me to my next point. Make sure your sales prices in the computer are current. It's frustrating and time consuming for everyone involved to have the wrong price come up at the register when the item is clearly listed in the ad and marked with signs.
Come into the 21st century when it comes to dealing with checks. How many huge checks are going to have to bounce before you start using a system that deducts the funds directly from the accounts? Or if you're too cheap to do that, how 'bout a policy that says no checks over $200 or something? Or better yet, no checks at all.
Put in more cutting tables. There are times when customers are waiting in line for 1/2 hour or more. Even if we could have additional staff, there's no place for them to cut.
Talk to your employees and listen to what they have to say. They know the customers and they may have some good ideas. Explain why you're doing what you're doing. For the most part, your employees are good people who want to do a good job, you're just not giving them the means to do that.

It was all good just a week ago.....

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Decatur, GA

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics full-time for more than a year

Pros: Working with customers Discounts Learning fabric content Learning multiple ways to do one… Cons: Crazy hours worked Keeping the store clean is the hardest Advice to Senior Management: Upper management needs to get off their high horses and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Horrible Company

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Overland Park, KS

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The only reason that I worked for Hancock for as long as… Cons: I worked at Hancock Fabric’s for 4 years, as a sales assistant. I felt completely unappreciated by the company. When I first started there was… Advice to Senior Management: LEARN to APPRECIATE YOUR EMPLYEES, if you take care of your employees they will… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Hancock Fabrics.

Worked for Hancock Fabrics? Contribute to the Community!