There are newer employer reviews for Hancock Fabrics

Terrible

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Katy, TX
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Katy, TX

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fabric Discounts, if that interests you

Cons

Horrible Management, broken store, unrealistic expectations, pathetic pay, micro management to the max

Dont require a management override for a .23 cent spool of thread, then come down on your associate for calling you down over the intercom.

66 Other Employee Reviews for Hancock Fabrics (View Most Recent)

Great place to work for crafting, Bad place to work because of higher management

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time

Pros

My store manager is really nice and works with all the staff to make sure that we are doing well. If the store gets a bonus for sales, she make sure we all share in the rewards for doing a good job. She also works with us to make sure our work schedule works around our life.

My co-workers are great people to work with. If something is wrong they all care enough to help make things better.

Our store is smaller then the competitor and customers constantly tell us how much they like that we actually listen to what they are working on and work to help them find the right product for their needs. Since we have more hands on with the customers, our sales do better.

Most of the customers that come in are really nice. I rarely have to deal with any one who is rude or short tempered.

Cons

Being forced to sell contest items and Designer Deals. I have to ask every customer to buy both of them, and if I don't sell any because no one wants it, I'll be written up and fired. Most customers don't want the contest items because its stuff they already have or don't need it. People love the thought of the Designer Deals program until they hear about the monthly fee.

Really mean, verbally abusive District Manager, HR won't do anything about the DM. Calls from the DM to enforce targets (I seriously dread answering the phone because of her). I've actually burst into tears at the thought of coming into work because of her. If she decides that she doesn't like you or your store, nothing you do will change her mind. Even if you are the number one store in the company, she will still find something to chew you out about.

Our store isn't located in a very visible spot nor does it usually have enough parking, corporate hasn't done anything to try and move us to a better location. Saying we need to have better sales before they will think about it. We got better sales, they still haven't done anything.

If your store is on the list of store with a high loss prevention rate, the employees are the ones that are looked at and not the customers who come to the store. All the steps that are used to prevent theft are ones to keep the employees from stealing items and no one even seems to look at the store level to see what can be done to prevent the customers from taking items.

Take a look at how management is motivating employees to meet targets. Find out what items actually do well in stores and use those as contest items. Make it less of a sell this or loose your job atmosphere. Check with the actual store management for ideas about how to stop the theft in the store.

Needs more organization and faith in their employees

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics full-time

Pros

I have enjoyed what I have learned at Hancock. The people that work for me are some of the nicest and kindest people I have ever supervised. When I first started I had high hopes that the company was moving in a new direction.

Cons

There is no organization within the company. They lack communication when it comes to the weekly expectation on each store. They send out updates each week but do not correlate the workload with the amount of payroll that is given. There is no loyalty to their employees. I have supervisors that have not had raises in 3 years. The company does so many things on a split section decision and expect the stores to be able to execute on insufficient payroll. There is also an ungodly amount of focus on contest item and a new program called designer deals. They seem to feel that these are the only things that we have to focus on. At the end of the day helping our customers that can be very demanding has to take precedent over whther I can sale and item. When I shop at our competitors, I am not harassed to buy additional items or programs. Our customers expect us to know about sewing, quilting and other crafting questions which you receive no training nor are you required to know this to work there. The new direction that I thought was coming has not happened in my time with the company, they continue to do the same thing but expoecting different results.

This company will not survive if they cannot better organize what is going on. All of the last minute decisions and excessive workload has to be reduced to allow for your emplyees to focus on the customer and provide the good service that you so desperately want. Our customers coming in looking for advice and expertise. They need to focus on more business ideas and less on these fall back items that they think will help lift business. They will not only good ole fashion customer service will bring our customer back. Ultimately, our sewing and crafting products are what pay our leases and other bills not a bottle of spray starch. They need to take some of the pressure off of the employees when it comes to the constant floor moves, planogram changes and other task related items. And last, there needs to be some loyalty and moral boosting done for the employees. Most people work there because they enjoy the job and the customers not because the company is good to them. Employees are paid base min. wage but are asked to do so much for so little.

There are newer employer reviews for Hancock Fabrics

Worked for Hancock Fabrics? Contribute to the Community!