Hancock Fabrics

www.hancockfabrics.com

Great Opportunity

Pros

Great opportunity to succeed and room for advancement.

Cons

Need to change culture. However this can be achieved.

Other reviews for Hancock Fabrics

Positive!!!

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Reno, NV

Pros

I look forward to starting my new position. The benefits seem fair and my new boss is very nice.

Cons

I'm still waiting for the new store to open. Many pitfalls with permits not ready in time for the store opening.

Hope there is more training involved once we start working.

Current Supervisor

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

Pros

I have worked for Hancock's since September of 2013, and I have enjoyed the time i have been there. I was promoted to supervisor in January, so upward movement is possible. My fellow staff members are awesome, and we are very much like a family. The current manager and asst. manager are motivating, helpful, and knowledgeable. I LOVE the discount, being a medieval anachronist. I sew and weave, so having that discount is a wonderful aid to my wallet.

Cons

There should be more training for the upper level management (managers, asst. managers, and supervisors), as well as a handbook to help guide these positions on the daily operations for the store. Also, contest/push items are AWFUL, and I hate trying to sell people on stupid things that they most likely don't need. How many scissors, pin holders, and rulers does a person need!? Also, while the Designer Deals is a wonder program, having to push a program that a customer has to pay for is difficult. I feel as if I am selling cars again, which is a job I hated. Inter company competition is also great, but there needs to be a system in place for all employees, not just the store manager. When a store makes the top 15 in the company on Designer Deals or the contest items, the manager gets a monetary kick back. Most employees that did the work don't see a dime. Why should we push things when we don't see any rewards? Luckily, my manager is someone who will take that money and reward her staff.

The last con are the wages and staff hours. I started at minimum wage, and was informed that was company policy. About the only way to get a raise was to advance to a higher position. Also, in my store, we don't have enough staff to cover the hours that we have. We also don't have enough hours to give staff to handle the store and make sure all displays and sales are correct. We are the largest in our area, open later than the other stores, and we get 4 extra hours. It's ridiculous.

Store management: Take time to train your staff completely. When I started, I had no training on anything, and was pretty much thrown to the wolves, learning as I went. thank goodness my supervisor (now Asst. Manager) takes time to help and train us as situations come up. For upper management in the company: Listen to your employees, take their concerns to heart, and actually do something about it.

There are newer employer reviews for Hancock Fabrics.

Worked for Hancock Fabrics? Contribute to the Community!