There are newer employer reviews for Hanover Insurance

Worst Job I have Ever Had

Former Employee - Insurance Service Professional in Worcester, MA
Former Employee - Insurance Service Professional in Worcester, MA

I worked at Hanover Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay
Amazing benefits
Beautiful campus
Lots of wonderful people

Cons

- Management treats employees as though they are incompetent
- Extremely disorganized & chaotic
- The service center is a black hole and even though your co-workers (not management) are wonderful, they'll all agree with you on how miserable it is to work in that department
- Very little notice on when schedule changes are made, we have been told the day of even
- Management treats employees extremely disrespectfully
- Very political and barely any chance to move up.
- No matter what you do, management will NEVER listen to you. I had some wonderfully intelligent people on my team that had recommendations, and they were completely ignored.
- No matter how much work you do, you can be top in sales, you will get yelled at for something
- EXTREMELY micromanaged. All of us would get points taken off (banned from bonus) FROM GOING TO THE BATHROOM. Also, they have yelled at many people for coming back from lunch (I kid you not), either one minute late or in my case, 1 minute and 45 seconds late....

Hanover Insurance gets tax breaks for hiring so many people every year so they really don't mind the huge turnover. I wish they would have listened to their intelligent, charismatic staff and valued who they had employeed. Instead of being a typical call center with new hires every month, they could have retained people of strong knowledge who knew the systems and knew the contents. My original staff left. I think out of a staff of 30, only five original people are left. Beware! Some of those people even left without jobs to replace Hanover's!! That's how uncomfortable it is there.

reviews filtered by

overall very stressful and unhappy

I worked at Hanover Insurance

Pros

there is a gym on site.
    there is a clinic on site.
    the cafeteria is ok.
    the landscape of the company is good.

Cons

poor work life balance. incompetent management team. very stressful working environment, and accomplishment not recognized. people try to step over one another to move ahead.

make sure to understand what is the direction wants to follow and stick to it for a while before moving to the opposite a month later.

Manage through fear

I worked at Hanover Insurance

Pros

Still some good people left there, Good work/life balance, nice cafe and convenience store, compensation is fair, plenty of parking, convenient location.

Cons

Technology management is seasoned to manage through fear, holding your job over your head, very demotivating. Very poor direction, priorities and cooperation from Technology leadership irratic and nonexestant respectfully. Dangle carrots, but you never get attain it.

Technology leadership and management need to stop being cut-throat, and support your workforce, reward people, not just the chosen few, who, despite being inept at their jobs, get promoted.

There are newer employer reviews for Hanover Insurance