There are newer employer reviews for Hanover Insurance

Interesting company dynamics between IT and the Business- Upside Potential

Current Employee - Technology Director  in  Worcester, MA
Current Employee - Technology Director in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Hanover Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Job Stability
Excellent Business people (especially in Commercial-lines)
CEO truly understands the P&C Insurance Business
Premium Growth through Acquisitions

Cons

Technology lacks Leadership and a strategic roadmap
Very difficult to join from outside the company (especially in IT), most people have spent their entire career at Hanover
Innovation/Career opportunities
People Management

Shake-up the Technology group with some outside Leadership from the CIO to the Leadership level below the CIO. Demand a real technology strategy, company with $4B in premium should not have as many platforms as currently exist.

117 Other Employee Reviews for Hanover Insurance (View Most Recent)

Good company, but room for improvement.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst II  in  Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Hanover Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Company is small enough that you can still make an impact by putting in the effort. No need to worry about being another face in the crowd.
    - Senior level management is knowledgeable and have bought into the vision and strategy of the company. The messaging from them is consistent.
    - Most of the people are exceedingly pleasant, friendly, and approachable. It's easier to get through the day when you don't feel isolated or like a worker drone
    - There are office politics, but less than I have seen elsewhere.

Cons

- The career ladder isn't there. Many analysts report directly to one of the numerous VPs w/o clear career path forward.
    - Antiquated systems, need to know how to use work-arounds to compile relevant data. Technology group is generally seen as a hindrance in completing tasks rather than a partner, so individual groups create their own work-arounds that are unique to the group.
    - Some people are just collecting a paycheck, and it's noticeable.
    - Cafeteria is not good. The place can't even make pizza right...

- Invest in improving systems that will last us the next 10 years, not the next 10 months.
    - Senior management should try to be more visible. You rarely see most of them around the building. Even if you do, the interactions with most of them normally don't seem very warm or inviting.

Rats off a sinking ship in Michigan

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Howell, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Howell, MI

I have been working at Hanover Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

1. Managers are so busy filling vacancies of fleeing employees, no one holds us accountable for anything.

2. Our professional development now includes daily role playing on how to handle unprofessional, unethical and inappropriate behavior from RVP, and State Management.

3. Once average employees are suddenly valuable and desired now that the best ones are gone. Don't worry, there is still time to get in on this. More people will leave soon!

4. Casual dress code installed by new RVP. Shirts unbuttoned to mid chest, loafers with no socks. Chest hair OK.

Cons

1. Real lack of leadership in this place. RP is disengaged. Just an old guy trying to finish his career and get out. Complete inability to judge talent as witnessed by the number of jerks and incompetent people in key roles who are allowed to hang on. Hiring new RVP who is unqualified for the role and creating havoc on the office is just the latest. This guy is a joke.

2. Unclear expectations and no real path for promotion. We hire incompetent people from the outside who block the way for lower level employees. People leave for much better
    jobs.

3. Talented people are leaving everyday. My work is growing. Morale is bad. Not confident it will be fixed until RP and RVP are gone.

4. HR has ignored serious issues for years. They are no help.

5. Sadly, our agents are suffering too. Ignored and unheard. New guy says, "Everything is great".

Fred, It's time for a new "journey" in Michigan. We are on the same path as the Edmund Fitzgerald.

There are newer employer reviews for Hanover Insurance

Worked for Hanover Insurance? Contribute to the Community!