There are newer employer reviews for Hanover Research

Disappointed; thought it would be more than it is and was told that it would be more than it has been!

Current Employee - Content Analyst
Current Employee - Content Analyst

I have been working at Hanover Research

Pros

Young company with young employees Work with interesting clients--primarily non-profits in higher ed Work with smart co-workers with good collegiality

Cons

Senior management is out of touch and ambivalent to employees Promises are made and then taken away Often unrealistic expectations are put upon employees No opportunities for professional advancement/development Distant, erratic, and aloof CEO

Advice to Management

Please listen to employees ideas and concerns and be honest with potential employees during the interview. Better communication will help employee retention, which is horrible currently. It is hard to invest in Hanover when Hanover doesn't seem to invest in its employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

For researchers, company has potential

I worked at Hanover Research

Pros

Colleagues are smart, creative, interesting, nice Generally interesting project requests Pay is better than some organizations Advancement opportunities Good work/life balance Low-key & low-stress work environment

Cons

Smart, creative researchers under-utilized Pay could be better (see: CEB, ABC) Management is not transparent at all Minimal set expectations/feedback for researchers Little/no sharing between sales and research sides Advancement opportunities due in part to turnover No training or development aside from OTJ

Advice to Management

Managers could improve employee engagement and overall happiness at work by seeking more researcher input and by providing more clear expectations and feedback on projects - currently, employees feel under-valued because they are not regularly thanked for their work or, if it's not good, given very much feedback on how to improve. Overall, don't expect the moon from this small organization. As an employee: if you can upward manage well, can speak up for yourself, and are truly a self-starter, then this organization will be a good fit.

Research Consultant

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After spending several years studying education policy and programming and working in various teaching roles, I enjoyed shifting over to full-time research work. Unlike grad school, where I paid to learn, at Hanover I was PAID to learn. During my first year on the job, I learned more than I did during my entire grad program. My writing skills and discipline got a major boost from the discipline of drafting client-ready content day in and day out. (Writers block is not an option in this environment.) And my awareness/understanding of hot topics in the world of K12, higher education, and lifelong learning grew at a pace I didn't realize was possible. Working as a researcher at Hanover was, to me, highly educational and stimulating. Intellectual curiosity and a collaborative spirit are rewarded with greater responsibility, and as a result, the Research staff is a diverse and interesting group of intellectuals. There is always something to learn from the person sitting next to you. I would recommend a research position to anyone who believes they are a good critical thinker and writer (or analyst for data work), and has the desire to learn and grow in their field of interest (whether grants, education, or business and marketing). The work is not easy, but the dividends are incredible.

Cons

For a social person like myself, the work could feel isolating at times. You can't be shy at the water cooler and lunch time, or you will have a really hard time making friends. The pace of work could also get challenging, making it important to set good work/life boundaries.

Advice to Management

For company-sponsored activities, it would have been great to have things that didn't revolve around sports games (Redskins, Wizards, etc.) and alcohol (happy hours). Not everyone likes sports/drinking. The holiday party, field day, day of service were more my speed and it would have been great to have more activities like that throughout the year as individual team building opportunities.