There are newer employer reviews for Hanover Research

Highly successful business model and unique opportunity to gain complex/consultative sales experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

As a small firm striving to grow quickly, the staff and diverse mix of business professionals are critical to achieving revenue goals and revolutionizing the company’s content offering. Impressive collection resumes both on the sales, as well as the research side of the business. Selective hiring process seeks intelligent, highly-motivated, driven professionals, which creates an ambitious and financially rewarding working experience. A great place to hone and develop complex sales skills while getting a front seat view into the marketing and research functions of some of the world’s largest companies and the challenges they face in our current economic climate. Management is receptive to new ideas and always willing to consider new ways to improve internal efficiencies. Fast-paced sales environment with attainable, but still ambitious revenue goals. Very much a self-starter atmosphere, which bodes well for “go-getters” looking to make great money while still taking on mid-level management responsibilities. Overall, a rewarding work environment, both professionally and financially.

Cons

The world can change in an instant, which is often the case at Hanover. Just when a new sales approach or tactic seems to be working, the company strategy could shift in a new direction, requiring a swift adjustment in focus. If you like a steady and consistent work pattern, this is probably not the job for you. Sometimes new ideas aren’t always successful, leading to instances of “time lost” in trying something new that doesn’t always pan out. Lean staff requires employees to often wear multiple hats, which is inherently difficult for individuals who are married to structure and do not react well to sudden change.

Advice to Management

More visibility to employees when it comes to 5-year strategic plan and 10-year company outlook. Need to build out a more effective sales/training function that focuses on the onboarding process of new employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great, if you're in Development; if not, it's still not too bad

Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of flexibility Good experience Ability to hone research skills, if you're willing to learn Ability to work alone and be responsible for your own work

Cons

Upper management No recognition from upper management Quota system and churning project after project out makes it seem like an assembly-line job

Advice to Management

There's definitely a focus on Development, in every sense, even though the researchers are the ones doing the actual work once the members' are in the door. Keeping the sales relationship is essential, but without the work researchers do, best of luck, development. It's also common knowledge that salaries in development were higher. Hope it's not the case still, but wouldn't bet on any changes. Upper management does not care about researchers. When I was there, we were just a pool of people who wrote reports all day - we don't have names, and even if we did, it probably wouldn't even matter. Updates from upper management focused almost only on Development. My advice: Ever wonder why turnover is so high in research? Some recognition would be nice. Also, give promotions where and when due. That is part of the reason I left when I did. To address one of the comments left earlier, the researchers look young - I was surprised to learn how old they really were and just how many advanced degrees were held among them all. So, they're not all 20 year olds, which is reassuring.

Good for someone who has never had a job or any office experience, otherwise a waste of time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you've never worked in an office, had an internship, or didn't get much of an education, you'd fit right in. It's a fun environment with young people, but that's also a major con.

Cons

Because of the lack of management, so much relies on people under 30 who have no management skills and don't know how to effectively execute work or communicate. The best learning environment for a young professional is to have a mix of staff, with older, more experienced staff leading the way. They're so desperate for new staff because of turnover that they shell out tons of $$$ on recruiting forms.

Advice to Management

Do your job - manage. Get a decent CEO and active Board of Directors.