Good first sales job

Former Employee - Cashier in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Cashier in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Real low pressure, definately has a small shop feel. You can easily befriend your managers and customers will sometimes know you by name. Sales goals are fairly easy to meet because of the no nonesense esp's and the high customer loyalty. Pay is competitive and raises will come twice a year if you earn them.

Cons

Needs more staff! traffic is unpredictable even during weekdays so you will have a massive rush of customers for hours with only a cashier and a manager on the floor. Also there are absolutely no full time jobs outside of management.

Advice to Management

try to keep a third person (preferably one with cashier duties) as backup, customer service and facing/store duties every night until close or at least an hour before close.

Other Employee Reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

Was let go after 19 years for the companies bottom line.

Former Employee - Management in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Management in Aurora, CO

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed all I worked with. I worked my way from store clerk to district manager and knew everything about the company and l loved my job.

Cons

Company greed did me and a lot of others in. The company went from a great place to work and grow to a screw you we can find someone to do it cheaper company.

Advice to Management

Stay away! You really are just a number.

It's ok, the benefits have declined and the company has drastically changed over the years.

Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is excellent. Moving up the ladder is easy. Make extra from spiff/commission from selling ESPs, and ITC memberships. Management staff is willing to work with the associates.

Cons

Customer base is composed of poor, classless, uneducated, smelly, old and mexican customers. The POS register system is based from the early 1980s and won't be upgraded until Mid-2013. The old registers have many issues that will slow the register lines down. Holiday pay use to include 13 holidays back in 2006, now only covers Thanksgiving and Christmas. High employee turn-over rate due to limitation is hours thanks to the 20/80 rule (20% full time, 80% part-time). Hiring manager will hire incompetent slugs that will waste the company's time will take a while for HR to fire that employee even though we live in a "fire at will" state.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring idiots.