Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Pleasant Hill, CA
Current Employee - Cashier in Pleasant Hill, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO & Sick time for part time employees

Cons

Under staffed for regular business. The warehouse has no to run it. So it's a mess.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great people to work with... BUT...

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really liked the people I worked with. From the store manager and even his boss, down to the fellow grunts I threw truck with. The actual work isn't that hard, and if you just want extra money while in high school or college, It's an OK place to work. I can't stress enough how much I liked the people I worked with, very high cohesiveness in all departments. Some of the best people I've ever worked with. The PTO stacked up quickly. Lots of free time working there.

Cons

BUT... The pay is an absolute joke, as well as the hours. Towards the end of my employment, I was lucky to even get a day a week. It wasn't just me though, everyone's hours got cut. It was explained to me that because of the time of year, corporate cut the store's total hours to give out to associates. There was also a feeling that we were just numbers in corporate's eyes, that they only cared about numbers, nothing else. I'd heard about how it used to be good working for the company a few years ago from the old timers there. They all said the same thing... That thing was that the company's business model had changed for the worse. They were right. They are now mercilessly sales driven, no regard for anything other than numbers. Don't work here if your bills depend on it... or if you want to advance within the company. It won't happen.

Advice to Management

Don't forget that people need HOURS to LIVE on, You're not just hiring teens and college students who just need beer money. You're also hiring people with bills to pay and mouths to feed.

Mostly good

Current Employee - Cashier in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Cashier in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As many hours as you want just about, always something to keep you busy, fun co workers, will work with your schedule, discount on things in the store, and friendly management.

Cons

There isn't a whole lot of bad, except their POS system and things get kind of boring sometimes. Their POS system is very old, people kept saying that they would be getting new computers and systems. I was told that would happen months ago and it has not. The system is so old it is confusing. Also, the work sometimes is mindless. Like SRR. If you like something that keeps you busy and entertained, this is not for you. But if your just looking for something to fill the time and don't really mind doing mindless work, then it's not to bad. Also, if you're working at a register, anytime you need a return, a pickup, change or have a tax exempt(mind you, you have these a LOT!) you have to call for a manager, wait on them to finish what their doing, and have them come up to the register, while the customer waits, sometimes for longer than need be amounts of time.

Advice to Management

Update the computer systems, it will not only save you problems but also save you time trying to train people how to use the system. Transactions would go through so much more smoothly.