There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

I like it here. Fun store.

Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier in Everett, WA
Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier in Everett, WA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The shifts go by quick, the store is very busy. Happy customers, growing company, everyone is always uplifting and in a good mood. Nice spif bonuses.

Cons

don't always get the shift I want, would like even more weekend hours when we are busiest.

Advice to Management

We need more registers.

Other Employee Reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

Disappointing like a King of the Hill bootleg

Former Employee - Cashier/Stock
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stock

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers, that's about it. Hiring manager was nice and knew the job was pretty terrible. I guess if you like smelling like tools you'd like working here. I could listen to music when we did restocking. Commissions on larger items paid out well if you were a decent salesman.

Cons

Everything else. Upper management hated customers, had no sense of politeness or promptness. Store was always understaffed, understocked, and underperforming due to system crashes or general slowness. Managers said disparaging things about friends of mine. Customers were rude, racist and seemed to not understand the concept of retail in any form. Sales catalogs, guarantees and programs are all a joke, not worth wasting paper on, currency or otherwise. Products were shoddy; I wouldn't trust a screwdriver from Harbor Freight let alone a big electric saw that could kill me. Store was permanently dirty even when cleaned. It was like living in an alternate universe where societal progress stagnated in late '80s rural Texas and everyone used AOL search and ate TV dinners and watched America's Funniest Testicular Injuries every night.

Advice to Management

Learn to be polite to people. It isn't that hard. You're selling Chinese tools under imaginary brands; you aren't chasing leads at Glengarry. Also to upper/district management: eventually the "octogenarian who doesn't know any better" angle is going to die out. Maybe consider improving the product quality a tiny iota instead of exponentially more aggressive and seedy sales tactics. Or not. Whatever.

2. Great business model with amazing growth and career opportunities.

Current Employee - District Manager in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - District Manager in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company provides a variety of products at incredible low prices - customer absolutely love shopping at HFT - smiling / happy to be in our stores. The leadership team is focused on keeping the stores staffed with friendly associates, stocked and priced right for the customers. HFT is experiencing tremendous growth due to the successful business model which translates in career growth opportunities. This is a great place to be for those with high standards and results driven.

Cons

The on-boarding process and training is in the early stages of development - lot's of learning on the job.

Advice to Management

It's incredible to work for an organization where both employees and customers love their stores. As we continue to grow... it is important that we invest on our teams' development for both their career growth and our staffing needs.