An okay place to work

Former Employee - Cashier in Orem, UT
Former Employee - Cashier in Orem, UT

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management works with your schedule, friendly people to work with

Cons

Lots of pressure for sales

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Runaway locomotive that thinks it doesn't need a track.

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

Paid relocations; PTO accrues quickly as a store manager (mainly because you're given 18 reasons as to why it would impact the business if you were to take it)

Cons

Where should I begin? Executive leadership consists of a half dozen people who view the company as nothing more than a piggy bank. Field management turns over more than any company I've seen. 5 regional managers in less than 5 years. The DMs that last have no business sense, ability to develop people, or desire to overcome obstacles. What they do have, is an incredible ability to find someone at the store level to blame. If that blame is not legitimate enough to document, then they take the "promote them to a customer" route.
    Operationally, I have never seen a company that claimed to be process oriented yet failed to properly execute on every single SOP. Your job will be threatened if you do not complete training on an SOP on time, the roll out will occur and one day later, be retracted due to "unforeseen issues". This lack of execution philosophy is compounded by the constant turnover in store operations causing massive disconnect between related procedures.

Bottom line. If you're here, RUN! If you're thinking of coming here, steer clear.

Advice to Management

Stop drinking your own kool-aid and start relying on your ivy league educations to give you a better business direction than "If it's free, they will come." (Why do I know that catch phrase will end up showing up in a corporate memo?)

Horrible

Current Employee - Retail Clerk in Union, NJ
    Current Employee - Retail Clerk in Union, NJ

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good paid time off program

Cons

Hours were very sporadic hours I went from 30 hours a week to 7 because the place was not making money