There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

All Cowboys......shooting from the hip!

Former Employee - Project Manager in Calabasas, CA
Former Employee - Project Manager in Calabasas, CA

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HFT does a lot for their employees. They give our monthly awards, free parking space for the month, Big celebrations for all the holidays and leave at noon on a Friday, before the long holiday, with supervisor's approval, of course.

Cons

There are too many to list, but here are the highlights: (1) Everyone is always putting out fires and not focusing on the job. (2) I heard this phase on a daily basis, "He needs to be fired, if I was his/her manager, I'd fire her a long time ago, I'm very close to firing them, If I was senior management, I would fire all of the directors." For me this was a big concern and watched it happen on many occasions. It was a part of their daily conversations.

There was really no structure, documentation, process, procedure and most of all documentation.

Advice to Management

Start from square one, train upper and middle management. Create teams of colleagues that look to each other for support.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Very Disappointing

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people at the field level, middle and upper management make questionable decisions.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be any leadership at the corporate level.

Advice to Management

Stop recruiting corporate management from failing organizations - you're hiring the reason the reason they failed.

2. Stay away from the corporate office

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

Unique products and dedicated customers. Company has a nice building in Calabasas.

Cons

Harsh corporate culture, high pressure, some managers frown upon vacation requests, seem to deliberately under-staff and over-work people. Super high turnover/burnout rate. Poor benefits package. Do not deliver on bonus promises. Some field personnel fear being promoted to the corporate office due to the unfriendly culture. The corporate office is not a good place to work in my opinion and experience.