Harbor Freight Tools

There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

Nightmare

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its a pay check with benefits if you are a manager. The potential for growth and success exists. But current management is clueless.

Cons

The worst retail operation I have experienced in 30+ years of professional experience in the industry. Routinely asked to perform tasks for which little (but more often NO) training has been given.

Train your managers how to properly train their employees. Cleanliness standards do not exist. Operational policies routinely ignored.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Jun 12, 2014HR Liason

We appreciate your feedback about areas where we can improve. If you'd like to share specific information, please feel free to reach out to your HR manager or anonymously call our HFT Outlet Hotline ... More

378 Other Employee Reviews for Harbor Freight Tools (View Most Recent)

Poor Business Model and No Clear Direction

Current Employee - Retail Associate, Cashier in Casper, WY
    Current Employee - Retail Associate, Cashier in Casper, WY

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depending on Management situation it can be a great place to work. The employees all know each other and feel like family.

Cons

They lack in many aspects of their business model. The Corporate leaders are obsessed with selling Inside Track Club Memberships which has a lot of flaws such as the purchasers inability to receive the flyers they signed up to receive. They also Obsess over selling their Extended Service Plans which aren't worth the money for certain products. These are the only things the company seems to care about. They have certain stores in districts and the Districts are run by District Managers. There are Some District Managers that are just cold and heartless towards their store managers and the Employees.

Change up your business practices. I remember the days when Extended Service Plans would change with the sale price of the product not be set at a certain price and for certain products that cost the exact same price as a brand new product.

Good job, bad customers

Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier
    Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- above minimum wage, with commission and annual raises

- willing to hire young people with little or no experience; it's s good entry level job- started when I was 16.

- job stability. As long as you do what your told and hold your tongue with customers you're pretty set.

- lots of room to move up in the company. I'm only 18 and I was promoted to management within my second year with the company.

-great management team, good co-workers, fun job when working with the right people.

-flexible schedules

Cons

- very many rude and disrespectful customers. I'm a young girl and I've been cussed at, threatened, and verbally harassed by many customers(name calling, screaming, very inappropriate sexual comments, etc.)

- management doesn't properly enforce policies

-very hard work. Sales are driven a little too hard and if an employee does something wrong not only do they get punished but so does the MOD.

- I work at a very busy store with only 4 registers and our request for more registers keeps getting refused.

- lots of hour cuts and often understaffed because of budget

I suggest branching out to more forms of advertisement. Associates are already asked to do so much and name collection is very frustrating for both the employees and the customers. Also, policies regarding coupons, restock fees, and returns need to be more strictly enforced so that customers don't expect us to make exceptions.

There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools