There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

A decent job but don't expect much in the way of acknowledgement of your hard work.

Current Employee - Cashier in Fairfield, CA
Current Employee - Cashier in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work for someone who is just starting out in the workforce and doesn't have very many skills, and managers seem pretty willing to work with just about any schedule.

Cons

Very little opportunity for advancement, managers seem to stay managers, assistant managers stay assistant managers, and associates stay associates. Hours are divvied out based on sales performance, so working in the warehouse and having little interaction with customers means you might just see your hours dwindle down to 8 hrs a week.

Advice to Management

Find a way to promote and reward hard-work aside from basing it on sales. Create a policy requiring schedules be posted a few days before the beginning of the week. Appreciate your employees.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Jun 12, 2014HR Liason

We’re happy to hear that you find Harbor Freight Tools to be a flexible and accommodating workplace. We also appreciate your feedback about areas where we can improve. If you'd like to share specific ... More

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A great place for top performers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Really smart people
    - Rapidly growing business
    - Lots of opportunities for personal development
    - Casual dress code (jeans seem to be the standard for everyone up to the most Sr. Execs)

Cons

- Can be a lot of work at times

Advice to Management

- Keep bringing in top talent
    - Continue working on the internal culture / work-life balance which are already much improved!

2. Growth and Stability

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have had the opportunity to read some of the comments here on Glassdoor and find myself compelled to add one of my own. I have been with Harbor Freight Tools for approximately 2-1/2 years and have seen an incredible transitions and transformation of our senior leadership and mid-management teams. Although I was not familiar with Harbor Freight Tools 1-1/2 years ago, I was drawn in by the Growth opportunities of a fast emerging and stable company. With many new stores opening in the New York Metro area, we have focused on not only recruiting but also development of internal talent. This has lead to the promotion of 3 recent internal promotions to Store Manager and look forward to many more. if your looking for an opprtunity, this is the place to be.

Cons

This is a High Level Execution Based Company... your success is dictated by your performance.