Harbor Freight Tools

www.harborfreight.com
  www.harborfreight.com
There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

A decent job but don't expect much in the way of acknowledgement of your hard work.

Current Employee - Cashier in Fairfield, CA
Current Employee - Cashier in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work for someone who is just starting out in the workforce and doesn't have very many skills, and managers seem pretty willing to work with just about any schedule.

Cons

Very little opportunity for advancement, managers seem to stay managers, assistant managers stay assistant managers, and associates stay associates. Hours are divvied out based on sales performance, so working in the warehouse and having little interaction with customers means you might just see your hours dwindle down to 8 hrs a week.

Find a way to promote and reward hard-work aside from basing it on sales. Create a policy requiring schedules be posted a few days before the beginning of the week. Appreciate your employees.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Jun 12, 2014HR Liason

We’re happy to hear that you find Harbor Freight Tools to be a flexible and accommodating workplace. We also appreciate your feedback about areas where we can improve. If you'd like to share specific ... More

361 Other Employee Reviews for Harbor Freight Tools (View Most Recent)

A great place for top performers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Really smart people
    - Rapidly growing business
    - Lots of opportunities for personal development
    - Casual dress code (jeans seem to be the standard for everyone up to the most Sr. Execs)

Cons

- Can be a lot of work at times

- Keep bringing in top talent
    - Continue working on the internal culture / work-life balance which are already much improved!

They Talk a Good Game

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Customer Service in Palm Harbor, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Customer Service in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you have a good store manager it can be a good place to work. Most of the people I worked with were dedicated people and I never had a cross word with anyone, and I was fortunate to have a great store manager. The customers were friendly and I enjoyed helping them. It's a decent part time job for a single person with few outside obligations.

Cons

Short sighted corporate has oversaturated this area with new stores so everyone's sales have dropped off. Because of that, new stores have not met sales forecasts resulting in everyone's hours being cut. The store managers are pressured to sell the Extended Service Plans and Inside Track Club memberships and they have no choice but to pass down that pressure to the employees. Hours are not consistent so you may get 18 hours one week, and 12 hours the next week, and the starting and ending times might vary which makes it very difficult to plan your life. Many employees are married and have children and it is impossible to make sure family obligations are met when you never know from one week to the next what time you will be starting and ending work, or what days you will be scheduled.

You talk a good game and maybe you were able to keep your promises a few years ago but you have dropped the ball. You might as well be honest and change the name to "Harbor Freight Tools and Extended Service Plans" because you have made that a priority instead of customer satisfaction and employee well being. You've oversaturated this area with new stores and old stores that were once thriving are now starving along with the new guys who can't possibly meet sales expectations. Because of that, everyone's hours have been severely cut over what was promised and a person can't pay their bills on 5 to 15 hours a week. The days scheduled for work and the starting and ending times can vary from week to week which makes it is impossible to run a family. For example, I might work 6:00 am to 12 noon on one day and then 2:00 to 8:00 pm the next day, but that's only for this week. Who knows when I'll be working next week? But as long as we sell the ESP plan and the Inside Track Clubs the district manager smiles and gets off our backs for a while. Upper management needs to learn that the tools are the inanimate objects of the shelves, not the human beings who work in the store. You expect loyalty from employees but loyalty is a two way street. Some of you upper management guys should try running a store for six months. I think there would be some major changes if you had to eat your own cooking.

There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools