Harbor Freight Tools

www.harborfreight.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

A decent job but don't expect much in the way of acknowledgement of your hard work.

Current Employee - Cashier in Fairfield, CA
Current Employee - Cashier in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to work for someone who is just starting out in the workforce and doesn't have very many skills, and managers seem pretty willing to work with just about any schedule.

Cons

Very little opportunity for advancement, managers seem to stay managers, assistant managers stay assistant managers, and associates stay associates. Hours are divvied out based on sales performance, so working in the warehouse and having little interaction with customers means you might just see your hours dwindle down to 8 hrs a week.

Find a way to promote and reward hard-work aside from basing it on sales. Create a policy requiring schedules be posted a few days before the beginning of the week. Appreciate your employees.

Jun 12, 2014HR Liason

We’re happy to hear that you find Harbor Freight Tools to be a flexible and accommodating workplace. We also appreciate your feedback about areas where we can improve. If you'd like to share specific ... More

391 Other Employee Reviews for Harbor Freight Tools (View Most Recent)

One of the best opportunities in retail

Current Employee - Director in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities are endless. The organization is growing at a break neck speed. When people ask "what does the career path look like?" the answer is who knows... regardless of what you want to do, there will likely be an opportunity here for you to advance. Buy the ticket, take the ride. There really is no limit when an organization has this much growth ahead.

Cons

You will work hard. HFT requires passionate, committed people who thrive to be part of the solution, Big ego's won't survive. If your more excited to see the team win than to achieve individual success than it is a great place to be. If your most motivated by indivudual accolades, it may not be the right place. With that said, is is absolutely a pay for performance environment, and stars are always recognized and rewarded.

Jun 18, 2014HR Liason

We’re excited about the growth and energy at Harbor Freight Tools, too. We've got a great team and are always looking for more talented people. Thank you for your feedback.

Be prepared to get things done. All day long.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can get more accomplished at HFT before 10am than you could in a whole day at most companies. There aren't many 30+ yr old retailers growing at this rate -- or that would have so many opportunities to learn and develop in the near-term and over the long haul. There's a ton of energy and a pervasive drive for constant improvement -- every single day.

Cons

There is a trainload of work and the challenge isn't for everyone. It's not easy to grow 20% annually AND push for improvements in such varied aspects of the business. Be prepared to have 30 items on your to-do list and time to get only the 5 most important done. Expect a certain amount of change and stand ready to be responsible for the planning and execution.

Continue to acknowledge the effort and thought that go into every day. Celebrate the routine wins for a minute or two before moving on to "what's next." Break down a few more silos between departments and encourage even more communication.

Jun 18, 2014HR Liason

We're glad that you find Harbor Freight a proactive, productive place to work. We also appreciate your feedback regarding areas where we can improve If you'd like to share specific information ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools