There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

A decent job but don't expect much in the way of acknowledgement of your hard work.

Current Employee - Cashier in Fairfield, CA
Current Employee - Cashier in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work for someone who is just starting out in the workforce and doesn't have very many skills, and managers seem pretty willing to work with just about any schedule.

Cons

Very little opportunity for advancement, managers seem to stay managers, assistant managers stay assistant managers, and associates stay associates. Hours are divvied out based on sales performance, so working in the warehouse and having little interaction with customers means you might just see your hours dwindle down to 8 hrs a week.

Advice to Management

Find a way to promote and reward hard-work aside from basing it on sales. Create a policy requiring schedules be posted a few days before the beginning of the week. Appreciate your employees.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Jun 12, 2014HR Liason

We’re happy to hear that you find Harbor Freight Tools to be a flexible and accommodating workplace. We also appreciate your feedback about areas where we can improve. If you'd like to share specific ... More

reviews filtered by
  1. A great place for top performers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Really smart people
    - Rapidly growing business
    - Lots of opportunities for personal development
    - Casual dress code (jeans seem to be the standard for everyone up to the most Sr. Execs)

Cons

- Can be a lot of work at times

Advice to Management

- Keep bringing in top talent
    - Continue working on the internal culture / work-life balance which are already much improved!

2. Great Opportunity; Great Company

Current Employee - Director in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

HFT is growing tremendously and has great opportunity for advancement. The corporate environment is filled with extremely talented and bright people and I have learned more in my last 2 years at HFT than in the previous 10 years combined at other companies. Also, HFT is a performance based company so it really does not matter if you are here one year or ten years, the only thing that matters is your capability and your results. No bureaucracy. If you have a good idea it will be implemented quickly, without going through 5 levels of mangement and 20 meetings later. Overall, very positive experience and I enjoy coming into work on a daily basis.

Cons

While compensation is very competitive, 401k and vacation are not as competitive.

Advice to Management

Promote work life balance.