Harbor Freight Tools

www.harborfreight.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

Stop pushing name collection and ITCs

Former Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (less than a year)

Pros

(At least in my store)
-Pretty fun co-workers
-Get good hours
-Opportunity for commission
-PTO and sick time for part-time

Cons

-Too much pressure trying to sell ITCs. Why would I try to sell a membership to someone when their information doesn't stay in the computer, their cards don't take coupons off automatically, and half the time they don't receive their ITC flyers.
-Too much pressure with name collection. Most people are in a rush and don't want to stand in line for twenty minutes because the cashiers have to go through five phone numbers then have the customers, who generally write extremely slow, fill out a card.
-No training. You get one maybe half a shift with someone showing you what do then you are on your own.
-Doesn't take care of managers when they are out of line. Some managers treat the employees and customers like crap but nothing is done to them because they have been there for a long time.
-Company doesn't stand behind their policies. If you say no returns without a receipt, uphold the policy. Too many times have I has customers get angry with me and yell at me because I wouldn't do a return but then management comes and does it. This makes the cashiers look like fools. Management need to stands behind policies and their employees.
-Too much is expected out of a cut staff. You can not think that cutting payroll and having two people close is good for the business. You work your staff to death and then they leave.
-High turnover

Stop with free coupons. The free coupons cause stores to have bad sales because all people want are free stuff. Stand behind your policies and your employees. Stop cutting payroll and then expecting more out of the few employees left.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Jun 20, 2014HR Liason

Thank you for your feedback. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed the people you worked with, your hours, perks and benefits. We also appreciate your feedback about areas where we can improve and we're ... More

396 Other Employee Reviews for Harbor Freight Tools (View Most Recent)

Nightmare

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Its a pay check with benefits if you are a manager. The potential for growth and success exists. But current management is clueless.

Cons

The worst retail operation I have experienced in 30+ years of professional experience in the industry. Routinely asked to perform tasks for which little (but more often NO) training has been given.

Train your managers how to properly train their employees. Cleanliness standards do not exist. Operational policies routinely ignored.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Jun 12, 2014HR Liason

We appreciate your feedback about areas where we can improve. If you'd like to share specific information, please feel free to reach out to your HR manager or anonymously call our HFT Outlet Hotline ... More

Poor Business Model and No Clear Direction

Current Employee - Retail Associate, Cashier in Casper, WY
    Current Employee - Retail Associate, Cashier in Casper, WY

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Depending on Management situation it can be a great place to work. The employees all know each other and feel like family.

Cons

They lack in many aspects of their business model. The Corporate leaders are obsessed with selling Inside Track Club Memberships which has a lot of flaws such as the purchasers inability to receive the flyers they signed up to receive. They also Obsess over selling their Extended Service Plans which aren't worth the money for certain products. These are the only things the company seems to care about. They have certain stores in districts and the Districts are run by District Managers. There are Some District Managers that are just cold and heartless towards their store managers and the Employees.

Change up your business practices. I remember the days when Extended Service Plans would change with the sale price of the product not be set at a certain price and for certain products that cost the exact same price as a brand new product.

There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools