Harbor Freight Tools

There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

Never ending battle

Current Employee - Head Cashier
Current Employee - Head Cashier

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Be cautious of reviews from "Calabasas, CA" that is corporate headquarters and senior executives are trying to make a good impression upon the company. This company does not hire smart and educated people, contrary to a previous reviewer's comment.

Pros;
1. Easy to get into the company, even felons are hired
2. Benefits for full time employees are good

Cons

1. Pay - other retailers will pay you more, even Menards compensates for weekend shifts. Harbor Freight rationalizes this by pushing replacement guarantees and memberships. If you do not meet your numbers, you will be fired.

2. Scheduling - scheduling is chaotic at best. Forget about having a set schedule.

3. Work load - frequent call offs, labor shortages, and reduction of hours puts a strain on regular, working employees. Prepare to work your butt off for 7.95 an hour, before taxes. You are also expected to sell Inside Track Memberships. They are extremely hard to sell; you get berated when you don't sell them; even customers know they are a rip off. You will frequently have angry customers do to coupon exclusions. Return policy is antiquated and draconian. Customers will be angry; you, regardless if you are an associate or stores manager, will vent this at you while senior management will kiss the customer and give them 100 bucks for their 10 mile trip.

4. Unclean/unsafe environment - these are Chinese tools, manufactured with unmentionable chemicals; you will smell this in the store immediately. Since payroll is stringently controlled, you will be loading 500 lb items yourself with maybe one other associate to help, no motorized equipment to aid.

5. Micromanaging - retail failures liquidated by REAL retailers circa 2008 have made it into the company since the recession - HFT has soaked up talent (warm bodies) from failing companies. These people like to ice pointless tasks. The other day, the district manager wanted us to report to him, for the whole store, each reason for each discounted item for the entire weekend. Wow.

Realize that you are micromanaging and let people work. Give stores more hours, you have a 50% profit margin every year, Eric Schmidt can afford it.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Jul 9, 2014HR Liason

Thank you for your input. We know that, even though Harbor Freight is growing exponentially with great success, we're always striving to improve, for our customers and for our team. And while we ... More

361 Other Employee Reviews for Harbor Freight Tools (View Most Recent)

Unrealistic Expectations in a Great Environment.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It feels like family in the store. The dress code is awesome. The benefits are competitive with other companies. Fast paced, never a dull moment. Great Customer Base.

Cons

There is always so many tasks to complete and never enough hours to get the tasks done. The Truck process is unrealistic, and never gets completed on time which puts all other tasks behind. Lots and Lots of Heavy Lifting. Their HR and LP department are a joke. You never get a response from them and it seems that they ignore most problems. DO NOT call the integrity hotline as you are labeled then as a troublemaker and the person always finds out that you reported them. The POS system that they recently upgraded to is worse than the old one. It constantly crashes and customers get frustrated because of having to wait so long to get checked out. There is never enough payroll hours to get all the tasks completed plus keep basic store standards up to par. You are told to cheat to sale ESP's and ITC's but if the Corp finds out that you cheat they terminate you for it. Not a female friendly work environment due to all the heavy lifting in the store. Plus customers often ask to speak with a man instead of a female. Customers expect us to be able to tell them how to use the product when we are never trained on any of the products. You can never use your PTO because the store is always short handed. The hiring process is a joke. It can take upwards of a month or more to get one person hired in the store.

Provide better store support and equipment to your employees. Do not set unrealistic goals and then not give the support needed to meet the goals. Please increase payroll hours. Only having 2 people in store is not safe. One person on the register and one person having to lift items alone that weigh upwards of 200 lbs is a common and unsafe practice. Better training on product knowledge. Stop growing until you get all the issues worked out that you currently have. Give employees better work/life balance. Understand that we and our families are important. Recognize our victories not just our failures.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Jul 15, 2014HR Liason

We're so glad to hear you enjoy your work environment, co-workers, dress code and benefits at Harbor Freight Tools. We also thank you for your feedback on how we can improve. As the company continues ... More

Good experience, ability to move up

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

Good pay for managers, most of your coworkers are usually pretty good. Company has vast expansion in it's future which means lots of opportunity.

Cons

Lots of change, always a new directive coming down from corporate. Must be willing to throw out the old (even if the old just started this week) and begin the new.

Our people are our best resource. We need to make sure they are ready to move up as well.

There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools