Never ending battle

Current Employee - Head Cashier
Current Employee - Head Cashier

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Be cautious of reviews from "Calabasas, CA" that is corporate headquarters and senior executives are trying to make a good impression upon the company. This company does not hire smart and educated people, contrary to a previous reviewer's comment. Pros; 1. Easy to get into the company, even felons are hired 2. Benefits for full time employees are good

Cons

1. Pay - other retailers will pay you more, even Menards compensates for weekend shifts. Harbor Freight rationalizes this by pushing replacement guarantees and memberships. If you do not meet your numbers, you will be fired. 2. Scheduling - scheduling is chaotic at best. Forget about having a set schedule. 3. Work load - frequent call offs, labor shortages, and reduction of hours puts a strain on regular, working employees. Prepare to work your butt off for 7.95 an hour, before taxes. You are also expected to sell Inside Track Memberships. They are extremely hard to sell; you get berated when you don't sell them; even customers know they are a rip off. You will frequently have angry customers do to coupon exclusions. Return policy is antiquated and draconian. Customers will be angry; you, regardless if you are an associate or stores manager, will vent this at you while senior management will kiss the customer and give them 100 bucks for their 10 mile trip. 4. Unclean/unsafe environment - these are Chinese tools, manufactured with unmentionable chemicals; you will smell this in the store immediately. Since payroll is stringently controlled, you will be loading 500 lb items yourself with maybe one other associate to help, no motorized equipment to aid. 5. Micromanaging - retail failures liquidated by REAL retailers circa 2008 have made it into the company since the recession - HFT has soaked up talent (warm bodies) from failing companies. These people like to ice pointless tasks. The other day, the district manager wanted us to report to him, for the whole store, each reason for each discounted item for the entire weekend. Wow.

Advice to Management

Realize that you are micromanaging and let people work. Give stores more hours, you have a 50% profit margin every year, Eric Schmidt can afford it.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Jul 9, 2014 – HR Liason

Thank you for your input. We know that, even though Harbor Freight is growing exponentially with great success, we're always striving to improve, for our customers and for our team. And while we ... More

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good for entry-level positions

Former Employee - Retail Clerk
    Former Employee - Retail Clerk

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time

Pros

The company is mid-sized but growing, so it is more personal than larger hardware companies. On the first day, I met the District Manager for the region and he actually helped us set up the new store. I got a great sense of community from this company.

Cons

The management of a new store was a bit unorganized. I wasn't aware of scheduling until a day or two before, which proved to be inconvenient.

I've been here for a year and a half and I loved it…Good Company and great growth. Top performers excel

Current Employee - Data Operations Manager in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Data Operations Manager in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• High growth, high opportunity environment. • New management that understand the business and are committed to providing a top-tier working environment with work-life-balance. • State-of-the-art Technology platform… - Multiple recently implemented applications with road maps to support growth. - Great opportunity to grow with the company and the technology. • Solid and proven business model. • Ability to drive change and all levels within the organization. - Very flat organization. • Continuous improvement is valued and rewarded.

Cons

• It takes a highly motivated, passionate and talented individual to thrive in this environment. • If you’re not motivated, passionate and talented you won’t be as successful as you could be.

Advice to Management

• Keep doing what you’re doing and continue the rapid and controlled growth of the company