There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

Not understanding company's logic.

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

I work at a new store, I got to work with the red shirts and set up the store. I live how fast this company is growing and the opportunities that were recently presented to me. I somehow locked in the head pricing coordinator position. My store manager recently told me big things are going to be happening in our district and he wants everyone that's part of the leadership team to be ready for the next level up.

Cons

The pay is really low. I understand this is a retail job, but unless you are part of the management team you're basically making minimum wage. I don't know about other states, but in CA. you can't live off wages that small. My other issue is our store has a bunch of great workers, how are they rewarded? They're told their hours are getting cut. That's just an insult to injury. You make $ .80 above than minimum wage and are lucky to get 20 hours a week.
 Why would anyone want to stay with a company that treats them like that. Our store meets or exceeds the daily budget everyday, but we can't afford to keep our good workers on the schedule. So we have a high profit store, but can't pay the employees decent wages or give them hours to work.
 The company says it has competitive wages... Competitive with whom?

Try to slow down the turn over rate in your stores, the customers like shopping at stores with employees that know what they're talking about. I feel like my store is going to lose some good workers. CA minimum wage just went up and is going to be going up again. Try some cost of living increases as minimum wage increases, and provide more hours for the retail associates want them. If the company can do that, they are more likely to have more solid employees that care about their jobs than a bunch dim witted people who could care less about the company.

321 Other Employee Reviews for Harbor Freight Tools (View Most Recent)

Poor DM management

Current Employee - Current SM  in  None (Italy)
    Current Employee - Current SM in None (Italy)

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fast pace work growing company

Cons

100% or your out. Focusing on SOP and not the customers

Get back to the basics

Stressful environment

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time

Pros

Decent starting pay rate. ASM are paid hourly, which helps with work/life balance. You  accrue
    PTO time quickly. There are opportunity for commission.
    Health benefits

Cons

The company restriction on part timers hours and payroll is a recipe for disaster. No part timer can more than 20 hours Your payroll is expected to be as low as 4%.  Company expects extremely high productivity from inexperience part-times and low paid. Very low morale.
    Sink or swim culture. Little to no training is offered to any employee including management.
    Strenuous labor. "CYA"in-store management culture. Safety concerns the company takes no measures to reduce external shrink or protect employees in high-risk areas.  Products are based off of planed obsolescence model.

HFT seems to be struggling as a company to implement their core processes. Please allow stores proper timing to execute plans to improve.
    Not allowing  any part-time to have more than 20 hours has negative consequences on the store level.Staffing levels are downright embarrassing and unsafe
    It's not uncommon for member of management to be with only one employee for up to 4  hours at a time.

There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

Worked for Harbor Freight Tools? Contribute to the Community!