There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

Very laid back work, flexible, some store manager can be overboard sometimes

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Duncanville, TX
Current Employee - Cashier in Duncanville, TX

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible, pay for high school student, commission, parking lots sales

Cons

some customer with the ITC who think they purchased it but really didn't

More money during raises

320 Other Employee Reviews for Harbor Freight Tools (View Most Recent)

A mildly irritating, and nearly adequate job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salem, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, NH

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time for more than a year

Pros

Its a pretty laid back atmosphere, with a relaxed dress code. Some friendly managers or supervisors makes the job better. The fellow employees can be great and you can view a few of them as family after a while. Most of the customers are pretty good, you can actually stand around and have a conversation with them once in a while if you're on a roll and joking with them. As a sales-floor associate you generate a little over a week of paid time off a year, and 2-3 days of paid sick time a year. Low-end promotions are possible, as in it's not too hard to move up to a supervisor position, moving up to management seems near impossible. Training is quick, but not that efficient and ends up being a running joke between employees.

Cons

Scheduling is a nightmare. Every week you will have a completely different schedule, and so will everyone else except for whichever manager makes the schedule. Lots of favoritism. If one of your managers doesn't like you, and their closing with you, expect that you'll be cleaning the bathrooms. And it doesn't matter how long in advance you put in for time off, your not going to get it, and when you say you wont be in and you gave them plenty of notice, the managers treat you like the bad guy. But dont worry, your managers will change very few months. Very few last much longer than a year, or leave for somewhere else.

Your pushed to sell warranties and coupon subscription plans. Whatever you sell, you get roughly 10% commission, but the only way to sell warranties is either getting lucky with a customer that wants one and will ask for it, throwing a lie at the customer and talk it up, or scan a coupon when their not looking and trick them into buying it. The supervisors and managers will tell you to use the coupon scanning method (cheating), but tell you to hide it. But if the district managers find evidence of the cheating, someones probably getting fired. You get yelled at if you don't meet the goals set for selling these things. I've heard the managers get some kind of bonus if the store sells a lot of these, so that's all they care about. The yearly coupon subscription (ITC's) are junk, and all the employees know it, but we still are required to sell these things, and most the customers who do buy it still don't even get the coupons that their paying for.

Everyone always whines about the job, and there is a lot of people who will just stand around and do nothing.

The companies name collection is a bit over the top. There a quota every week for how many new addresses and email address we have to collect as a store, and it's to the point, atleast at my store, that we pretty much bully them into giving us something or else their checkout process takes forever.

The inventory system is a joke, and so is receiving shipments. Most of our freight guys are at court if they don't show up for work.

I've been with my store since opening a little over a year ago, and sales on average has gone down, but people get about the same hours anyway.

Base pay at my store is 9/hr. Asst Head Cashier 10/hr. Head Cashier about 11/hr. Assistant pricing coordinator 9.25/hr. Pricing Coordinator 9.50/hr.

Get your show together. Make your store a better place, starting with you.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Jul 23, 2014HR Liason

Thank you for your insightful feedback. We especially appreciate your pointing out the casual atmosphere and camraderie in the workplace. We hear that consistently and we're grateful that we can ... More

Unbelievable

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time for less than a year

Pros

I had great coworkers and good lower management team members who kept work from always being boring

Cons

The store manager was a useless lying tool. Suggestions I made were literally laughed at. He would take between 1-2 weeks of vacation every month and during that time he forbade anyone else from taking any unscheduled time off. He fired a coworker and store veteran of 4 years after the worker broke his foot trying to move boxes marked two person. The coworker attempted to radio for help but he was the only one aside from the cashier and store manager working that day. The manager never responded and when he asked to go to the hospital the store manager fired him. We were denied lunch breaks and the manager threatened to dock my pay on a near daily basis. His boss, the regional manager, told the store manager that I should be fired after seeing me sprint back and forth to grab items for customers. He stated I was wasting time. At one point we were supposed to close at 6 and I had homework due that night before midnight the store manager decided no one was allowed to go home until we sold a credit card. We left at 11 30 when he bought one.

Fire all of management and start over.

There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

Worked for Harbor Freight Tools? Contribute to the Community!