Harbor Freight Tools

www.harborfreight.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

Best job I've had; it's what YOU make of it.

Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Turnersville, NJ
Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Turnersville, NJ

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Expectations are kept reasonable and attainable. If everyone puts forth 100% effort, you should see success and growth in all areas. Management team (at least at my location) is effective, and works well together despite frequently butting heads over details. The health benefits are pretty sweet, for a retail position, and won't break the bank either. Definitely opportunity for advancement if you make the extra effort; they're not just going to hand you promotions. Processes, for the most part, make sense and are able to be implemented easily and efficiently. Customer base is, for the most part, pleasant to deal with. Company seems to invest itself in its employees, certainly more so than any other company I've worked with. Overall, the atmosphere is pleasant and relaxed.

Cons

Free items are a headache and a half. Pricing system is time consuming and convoluted at current; I've been hearing rumors of an update in the works, and desperately hope it's true. Number/name collection can cause friction with customers, especially in case of returns: people don't want to give their numbers out anymore. Planograms are designed poorly on paper, even if the concept behind them is usually great. Most of that comes from skewed product proportions and sizes. As with any retail position, if your management team takes a less than desirable approach towards... well... management, then you're not going to have a good time. While my managers are great, I've heard horror stories about some of the other locations, where favoritism and commission rigging/theft run rampant. Happy to say I can't personally attest to those. Also as with any retail job, if you're going to make your location succeed, you're inevitably going to have to pick up others' slack. I can say that we have a couple of people at my location who have a terrible attitude and work ethic that we often have to pick up slack for, who are allowed to stay on because their add-on percentages are high. Also, on trucks, the state of the shipments are often deplorable. Heavy items stacked on top of light items, unstable-looking, packaging crushed and torn. Definitely a little questionable, but as long as you pay attention and follow protocol, you're usually fine.

In the future, if you have a store that is opening in an area that shares a zipcode with another area, please listen to the employees for that new store, who know what town you're actually in. You lose business if customers can't find you because they're looking in the wrong town, which has been a recurring problem for my location. Other than that, I suppose just consider the points I addressed in the "cons" section... specifically about truck. As a small female, it can get a little scary facing off against a leaning tower of power tools, especially when they have fallen in the past.

392 Other Employee Reviews for Harbor Freight Tools (View Most Recent)

Okay place to work for now

Current Employee - Head Cashier
    Current Employee - Head Cashier

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great employees to work with, flexible with school schedule, opportunity to make extra money on warranties, and opportunities for advancement. Can be a fun and rewarding place to work when the right people are in place and if you sell a lot of warranties to make extra money.

Cons

High turnover rate, upper management focuses on the wrong things and blames everyone else for what goes wrong, pay is not high enough.

Training needs to be better, and pay is not high enough for the work that is expected.

Very laid back work, flexible, some store manager can be overboard sometimes

Current Employee - Cashier in Duncanville, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Duncanville, TX

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible, pay for high school student, commission, parking lots sales

Cons

some customer with the ITC who think they purchased it but really didn't

More money during raises