There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

Best job I've had; it's what YOU make of it.

Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Turnersville, NJ
Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Turnersville, NJ

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Expectations are kept reasonable and attainable. If everyone puts forth 100% effort, you should see success and growth in all areas. Management team (at least at my location) is effective, and works well together despite frequently butting heads over details. The health benefits are pretty sweet, for a retail position, and won't break the bank either. Definitely opportunity for advancement if you make the extra effort; they're not just going to hand you promotions. Processes, for the most part, make sense and are able to be implemented easily and efficiently. Customer base is, for the most part, pleasant to deal with. Company seems to invest itself in its employees, certainly more so than any other company I've worked with. Overall, the atmosphere is pleasant and relaxed.

Cons

Free items are a headache and a half. Pricing system is time consuming and convoluted at current; I've been hearing rumors of an update in the works, and desperately hope it's true. Number/name collection can cause friction with customers, especially in case of returns: people don't want to give their numbers out anymore. Planograms are designed poorly on paper, even if the concept behind them is usually great. Most of that comes from skewed product proportions and sizes. As with any retail position, if your management team takes a less than desirable approach towards... well... management, then you're not going to have a good time. While my managers are great, I've heard horror stories about some of the other locations, where favoritism and commission rigging/theft run rampant. Happy to say I can't personally attest to those. Also as with any retail job, if you're going to make your location succeed, you're inevitably going to have to pick up others' slack. I can say that we have a couple of people at my location who have a terrible attitude and work ethic that we often have to pick up slack for, who are allowed to stay on because their add-on percentages are high. Also, on trucks, the state of the shipments are often deplorable. Heavy items stacked on top of light items, unstable-looking, packaging crushed and torn. Definitely a little questionable, but as long as you pay attention and follow protocol, you're usually fine.

In the future, if you have a store that is opening in an area that shares a zipcode with another area, please listen to the employees for that new store, who know what town you're actually in. You lose business if customers can't find you because they're looking in the wrong town, which has been a recurring problem for my location. Other than that, I suppose just consider the points I addressed in the "cons" section... specifically about truck. As a small female, it can get a little scary facing off against a leaning tower of power tools, especially when they have fallen in the past.

reviews filtered by
  1. Very laid back work, flexible, some store manager can be overboard sometimes

Current Employee - Cashier in Duncanville, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Duncanville, TX

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible, pay for high school student, commission, parking lots sales

Cons

some customer with the ITC who think they purchased it but really didn't

More money during raises

Unbelievable

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I had great coworkers and good lower management team members who kept work from always being boring

Cons

The store manager was a useless lying tool. Suggestions I made were literally laughed at. He would take between 1-2 weeks of vacation every month and during that time he forbade anyone else from taking any unscheduled time off. He fired a coworker and store veteran of 4 years after the worker broke his foot trying to move boxes marked two person. The coworker attempted to radio for help but he was the only one aside from the cashier and store manager working that day. The manager never responded and when he asked to go to the hospital the store manager fired him. We were denied lunch breaks and the manager threatened to dock my pay on a near daily basis. His boss, the regional manager, told the store manager that I should be fired after seeing me sprint back and forth to grab items for customers. He stated I was wasting time. At one point we were supposed to close at 6 and I had homework due that night before midnight the store manager decided no one was allowed to go home until we sold a credit card. We left at 11 30 when he bought one.

Fire all of management and start over.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Sep 22, 2014HR Liason

Thank you for your detailed feedback. We're glad to hear you enjoyed working with your team. We agree, Harbor Freight's got a great staff of energetic, proactive people. We also appreciate you ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools