Harbor Freight Tools

www.harborfreight.com
  www.harborfreight.com
There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

Best job I've had; it's what YOU make of it.

Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Turnersville, NJ
Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Turnersville, NJ

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Expectations are kept reasonable and attainable. If everyone puts forth 100% effort, you should see success and growth in all areas. Management team (at least at my location) is effective, and works well together despite frequently butting heads over details. The health benefits are pretty sweet, for a retail position, and won't break the bank either. Definitely opportunity for advancement if you make the extra effort; they're not just going to hand you promotions. Processes, for the most part, make sense and are able to be implemented easily and efficiently. Customer base is, for the most part, pleasant to deal with. Company seems to invest itself in its employees, certainly more so than any other company I've worked with. Overall, the atmosphere is pleasant and relaxed.

Cons

Free items are a headache and a half. Pricing system is time consuming and convoluted at current; I've been hearing rumors of an update in the works, and desperately hope it's true. Number/name collection can cause friction with customers, especially in case of returns: people don't want to give their numbers out anymore. Planograms are designed poorly on paper, even if the concept behind them is usually great. Most of that comes from skewed product proportions and sizes. As with any retail position, if your management team takes a less than desirable approach towards... well... management, then you're not going to have a good time. While my managers are great, I've heard horror stories about some of the other locations, where favoritism and commission rigging/theft run rampant. Happy to say I can't personally attest to those. Also as with any retail job, if you're going to make your location succeed, you're inevitably going to have to pick up others' slack. I can say that we have a couple of people at my location who have a terrible attitude and work ethic that we often have to pick up slack for, who are allowed to stay on because their add-on percentages are high. Also, on trucks, the state of the shipments are often deplorable. Heavy items stacked on top of light items, unstable-looking, packaging crushed and torn. Definitely a little questionable, but as long as you pay attention and follow protocol, you're usually fine.

In the future, if you have a store that is opening in an area that shares a zipcode with another area, please listen to the employees for that new store, who know what town you're actually in. You lose business if customers can't find you because they're looking in the wrong town, which has been a recurring problem for my location. Other than that, I suppose just consider the points I addressed in the "cons" section... specifically about truck. As a small female, it can get a little scary facing off against a leaning tower of power tools, especially when they have fallen in the past.

361 Other Employee Reviews for Harbor Freight Tools (View Most Recent)

Not the best

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Customers love what harbor freight has to offer once they are exposed to it. Good bonuses for store managers

Cons

Horrible hr practices. Lack of genuine leadership at Dm and regional level. Message and values do not translate from executive level to the field. Standards not in line with labor model..... How can u launch an initiative and have 90% of the stores fail assessment ...... Proof of the disconnect. Employee development is talked about but not supported. Poor technology roll outs....... Always 10 steps behind

You need to support what you roll out. If u run an insanely tight labor budget that's fine. It's a sm's job to manage that. What isn't realistic is to add multiple initiatives, rollouts, training's, etc and say " do it with your normal labor" when u already have sm's on registers half the time. That is not realistic and truly hurts store employee development. If something doesn't change, HFT will fail due to lack of trained leadership. Lose the burn and turn mentality and support your stores !

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Sep 4, 2014HR Liason

Thanks for your feedback. We agree, Harbor Freight has a strong, loyal customer base and they're excited to be there to find great deals on their tools. We also greatly appreciate your ... More

Not the worst job I've had, but....

Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, decent benefits, Human Resources department will actually listen to employees which is nice. Benefits hotline can come in handy.

Cons

Pricing system takes too long, shipping system could be better, ordering system is a joke. Pay is way to low for what I do.

As warehouse supervisor, I shouldn't be running the entire store. It shouldn't take 2 years to get rid of an assistant manager that does nothing, makes customers mad and loses sales for the store. Need a better pay scale. I make barely above minimum wage as Warehouse Supervisor, yet I'm doing the jobs of the assistant managers who make $10 more per hour than I do. And that's with having excellent reviews for three years in a row.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Aug 13, 2014HR Liason

Thank you, we appreciate your input. We're glad to know you enjoy the flexible scheduling and benefits that Harbor Freight provides, and that you're taking advantage of the open communication with ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools