Harbor Freight Tools

There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools

Excellent co-workers.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Myers, FL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, Management is very forgiving when it comes to learning the ropes. Learning about tools and their uses, customers really rely on you.

Cons

When it gets packed, expect to not take breaks and late lunches, high turn around. Pay is stagnant. Everyone but management and couple long time workers are part-time.

Better pay to prevent people leaving for higher paying job for doing less work. Hire more people and bump people to full-time.

392 Other Employee Reviews for Harbor Freight Tools (View Most Recent)

Harbor freight tools rocks!

Current Employee - Cashier in Longview, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Longview, TX

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! You are treated like a human being and family. When your manager makes you feel like YOU make a difference in the company, it makes me feel great!

Cons

Hourly pay, and flexing on hours :(

To give incentives for the employees who never call off and never late emplyees. We should get a quarterly bonus if we meet our goals in spifs and or ITC's. I don't expect to get rich, but acknowledgment would really be awesome! Probably not going to happen but it never hurts to ask! :) have a fantastic day!

Toxic company. Negativity permeates the entire company from corporate to store level.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Paid time off.
    Decent health benefits
    Hourly pay and a 40 hour work week for assistant managers
    Reasonable hours for the average store manager 45 to 50 hours.

Cons

One of the highest levels of turnover I have ever experienced in retail. Typical store staff consists of 15 to 18 employees. Store has turned over over 35 employees in a year.

IT is always a challenge

The company does not promote from within. So if you were not hired on as a position you want to stay in permanently and by permanently I mean 2 to 3 years which is the average tenure for most Harbor freight tools veteran do not be fooled by the talk of growth; Store managers and DM's are almost exclusively external hires.

Company struggles to implement programs that can be effectively executed at the store level especially given the extremely tight labor budget. Name collection and merchandise management standard operating procedures are key examples where more than 70% of the stores across the company cannot comply to the expectations. There is a clear disconnect between the corporate and store level. The response to the company wide failure to execute unrealistic expectations is generally firing threats, fear and intimidation.

I would have to echo the sentiments about HR written in several other reviews, the HR hotline is far from anonymous.

It is a Commonplace practice to hire store managers from external companies and this can lead in some unfortunate cases to a dangerous mix of arrogance and incompetence. Store managers aren't offered a lot of training, they often receive as little as two weeks training. Often times to compensate for the lack of knowledge there's a lot of grandstanding to show you who's boss that is counterproductive given the small staffs and tight budget everyone really has to use their time wisely and work as a cohesive team.

The store managers job description is extremely vague. They have a lot of rights and very little if any direct responsibilities and often end up functioning exclusively as a in-house critic. Assistant managers please negotiate your salary very well as you will be expected to do any and every task related to store operations often with little support from your GM.

The companies labor budget makes it difficult to retain and keep quality employee. The company gives minimal training and expects top-notch quality and production from associates that are given as little as five hours a week.

The company culture rates high on the toxicity level.

• Power struggles and power plays are common and ongoing.
    • Management egos need to be stroked on a regular basis.
    • because of tight labor budget that it seems That Executives are primarily focused on fattening their purses.
    • Often times people only talk to their store managers/DM if they absolutely have to.
    • The store has a small management staff but because of the negativity everyone is often at war with each other.
    • To say Management pays more attention to what employees do wrong than what they do right is an extreme understatement.
    • Employees spend a lot of energy on CYA activities.
    • Problems automatically trigger the search for a scapegoat.
    • Gossip, put-downs, blaming, and backbiting are common
    • Upper management have a “my way or the highway” attitude and seldom help one another.
     Advice

Consider opening up one to two more full-time positions at store level

Consider giving part-timers more than A maximum of 20 hours a week.

Considering the amount of growth The company is experiencing the internal promotions of head cashiers and warehouse supervisor to ASM and assistant managers to SM is shameful.
    If 70 to 90% of the store fail to meet in expectation there may be something wrong with that expectation.

Invest in a genuine HR program that is truly anonymous and that holds violators of the HR policy accountable and also treats toxic Store managers and employees as incompetent.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Sep 4, 2014HR Liason

Thank you for your feedback. We agree, Harbor Freight's health and vacation benefits are very competitive and we're pleased you acknowledged them. We also appreciate your candor, but are concerned ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Harbor Freight Tools